Chapter 9

My head was pounding as I turned to the next page, the paper feeling heavy in my hands. The tiny print of the textbook smiled back at me boastfully, proud that it managed to frustrate me again.

Calling Robin for help on this Journalism reading was out of the question: he was out with Dean and Emery for the second time that week. I had to turn down their request to go bowling due to my never-ending workload. Regretting my decision to not go, I slammed the book shut. The abrupt thud disrupted the silence that was previously only filled with the ambient hum of the air conditioner. Our dorm was frequently empty and quiet. Emery was never here anymore, her schedule packed with classes and parties.

Aimlessly, I checked my phone, replying to the few Snapchats I got from Taylor and Christ, as well as Dinah and Ally. Clicking through my stories, it was apparent that everyone was having a better time than me. I shut off my phone feeling even more lonely than before.

Moments after I logged onto Netflix, my phone buzzed. I groaned, knowing that I was seconds away from snuggling in my bed to binge watch Friends.

7:27 // Luce: heyyyyy

I rolled my eyes. I wouldn't be friends with her if she talked they way she texted.

7:28 // Lo: Hey. What's up?

7:28 // Luce: ehhh nothing. hbu

7:29 // Lo: Studying as always. Do you even need to ask?

7:29 // Luce: hmmm good point

7:34 // Luce: im boreeeed

7:39 // Luce: hello? are you mad again hehe

7:41 // Lo: I'm trying to watch some TV rn

7:41 // Lo: Sorry, that sounded really rude. I'm kinda bored too.

7:42 // Lo: Wait, why aren't you at the party that half our building is at?

7:44 // Luce: you should come over! i have something to show you

7:44 // Luce: i dont feel good

7:45 // Lo: Since when has that stopped you?

7:47 // Luce: k so its kinda complicated. i could tell you about it if you came over ;)

7:49 // Lo: Ugh, fine. But only cause I'm bored, I still hate you.

7:49 // Luce: see ya in a few mi amor :)

I shut off my phone. A childish grin stared back at me in its reflection, and it wasn't from the Friends episode that I'd been watching.

The white tiles that led to Lucy's room seemed warmer than usual, even though the tranquil silence of the empty building made me dizzy with nauseousness.

The door was open. She continued to pound at the notes on the keyboard that rested against the bottom bedposts when I walked in. Her fingers smoothly glided over the keys, seamlessly coordinating both of her hands to express the complex melody that filled my ears. Her back was turned towards me, but I could imagine the intensity in her face as the piece sped up. Not wanting to distract her, I rested my weight on the door frame.

"Not bad." My heart threatened to jump out of my chest as she swiveled to face me. The song she'd just played suffocated my brain, blocking out everything in that moment.

"How long have you been here?" she asked defensively, her eyes narrowed. I put my hands up innocently, kicking off my shoes and moving to Vero's desk chair. The frown on her face was a great contrast to the passionate playing that I'd witnessed only moments ago.

"Maybe a minute." I shrugged. She huffed, apparently not satisfied with my answer. "You don't seem nearly as bored as you made yourself out to be."