Chapter 9: Why Did You Leave

The King cleared his throat and spoke.

"Thank you all, for coming today. Today, we are welcoming guests that come from the village of Misty. They are here for a reason I will say later," he cleared his throat,"-now we will welcome them with open arms." He started to clap and everyone else did as well.

The fake smile plastered on my face was one I perfected, paired with eyes void of any emotion, no one saw me through.

Now that was something to be proud of.

But luck was not on my side.

"We will welcome them by allowing them to have the first dance-" With them just staring at us..."My son, Prince Ross Reynold will ask the first girl."

So he was gong to ask Amity since she was, her. I had no idea why she was so special but the Royals definitely knew of her somehow. I would usually not stick my nose in other people's business, but this intrigued me, deeply.

A half elf girl having a passionate love for the Prince, no surprise there. A Prince recognizing that crazed half elf girl, surprise like no other.

So you would expect him to go to Amity, bow and ask for her to dance with him. She would politely accept while blushing and every lady would jealously glare at the lucky girl ranting mentally why they was not chosen instead. The Prince would then fall deeply or even more deeply in love with Amity, one thing leading to another, then a happily ever after.

Now, focus on how I said, 'you would expect him', and wind back to reality.

"Miss, would you like to dance with me?" he said, bowing in front of me.

Oh no, not Amity Safire the girl who he stared at with passion.

Me, who has tried to intimidate him.

Man, Princes have bad taste.

So, not wanting to dance with him and have everyone hating me, I blurted out what was on my mind.

"No." I was being flat out honest with him. He gasped, stood back up and gaped at me.

What? Have you never been rejected before, honey? Well, too bad for you, sucker!

"No, thank you." I repeated to him, more politely.

"Ahem, of course, Miss." He said, cheeks flushing. He moved to Cassandra, who was next to me and asked her. Of course she blushed and said yes. Now why didn't he ask Amity? So being the 'her' was a bad thing.

Sucks for her.

A soft melody began to play as the Prince led Cassandra to the dance floor. He grasped her hand and held it up as he placed the another hand on her waist. Then they danced. The room's light dimmed and the spotlight was on the pair. More men started to come over to ask us, and I rejected them all.

Many men later, all the girls were gone, but Amity, Heather, Margo and me. A group of four men-no- boys, walked over.

Well, Lady Luck didn't like me.

The four boys were, Jake, Ethan, Noah and Asher. They bowed to the four of us and asked us to dance. Of course, me having insulted them before, they recognized me, in blonde or black.

And of course they had to smirk and had to ask Asher to ask me to dance.

"She's probably a horrible dancer..." Ethan whispered to Asher and they chuckled. Well, I'll show them. I was a good dancer, thanks to the dance class Aunt Lever forced me to go.

"May I have this dance, Miss? " Asher asked, bowing low, stretching out a hand with amusement in his eyes. He was expecting me to reject him. I would but I was offended by how he thought a couldn't dance.