seven | umbrella

umbrella.

the rain had been coming down harder than ever. audrey had been standing in the wildflower patch, getting drenched for almost twenty minutes.

she was determined to get an idea on this particular day, so she went to the wildflower patch in the terrible weather conditions. the young writer was completely soaked.

audrey pulled out her journal and fiddled through her purse for a pen. the raindrops came in contact with her clean journal pages. she didn't know how she'd be able to work like this, but inspiration was desparately needed.

"want an umbrella?" audrey heard a voice call. the tone was deep, most likely british, and extremely familiar.

it was james.

"oh, yes!" audrey turned around to see him walking towards her. she had never been happier to see james. he quickly walked over to her and held his umbrella higher for her to stand under it with him. "thank you!"

she stood under his umbrella, really observing how tall james stood. "you're very tall."

"not that tall." james let out a chuckle, determined to make her blush and smile like he once did. "you're very cute, with your small figure. you're still very cute."

"stop." she giggled, blushing uncontrollably as the musician's hand gently patted her lower back. "i could say that you were cute as well, but it's more than that."

"is it?"

"it is." she smiled at him as james gave her a slight smirk. "anyway, i'm still looking for novel ideas. are you still looking for song ideas?"

"i think i just got one." he winked at her and audrey blushed again. james continued to grip the umbrella he held over the two of them tightly.

"i'm going to jot something down really quickly." audrey hastily remarked, grabbing a miniature journal out of her tote bag. she then took the pencil from out of her hair and quickly scribbled something into a clean piece of paper. "there." she shut her journal and put it back in her bag along with the pen she was using.

"so, do you live near here?"

"yes, down the street." audrey nodded. "you?"

"not too far, approximately ten minutes away." the former beatle shrugged. "would you like a ride home, ma'am?"

"i would appreciate that, yes."

both writers made their way to the baby blue volkswagen beetle that james had driven to the wildflower patch. within moments, they were on their way to audrey's home.

"it's really good to see you, audrey." james begun, glancing over at the young writer as he carefully drove along the slippery road. "i've been thinking of you a lot."

"aw, yeah?" a smile crept onto the writer's face. "i have been thinking of you a lot, too."

"why don't you say, we exchange numbers? we can bounce ideas off of each other sometime." james shrugged, driving onto audrey's street. "i mean, that's only if you'd like. if you don't want to, i understand."

"nonsense, james." audrey giggled as they pulled in front of her home. "i'd love to exchange numbers with you."

audrey thought the more james was around, she'd be able to finish her book sooner than later. ideas always flowed when she was in his presence.

"wonderful."

the rain suddenly stopped and the two writers exchanged telephone numbers.

"thank you for the ride."

"no problem." james winked at her and held the piece of paper with audrey's telephone number written on it close to him. "i'll call when i need an idea."

"you don't have to call just when you need an idea." audrey chuckled lightly. "call when you want to talk. i'm always around." she gave him a small smile.

"thank you. i appreciate it, really." he nodded, grabbing her hand and giving it a tight squeeze.

his touch drove her insane.

"would you like to come in, james?"

"i've got a busy day of writing on this idea you've give me." the former beatle reassured the young woman. "next time, i will come in for sure. trust me on that one, audrey."

"alrighty then." audrey grabbed her bag and stuck her journal inside of it. "i'll talk to you later, maybe?"

"of course." james smiled at her. "i'll call you sooner than later, i promise."

audrey gave him a wink and she got out of the vehicle.

then, the rain started to pour again and they parted their separate ways -- audrey rushing to her front door to avoid getting drenched again, and james to drive off in the rain.