Chapter Three: A Comforting Hug

Emma gritted her teeth as she hurriedly made her way towards the class.

Damn Christopher Ford! What was wrong with him? And how dare he talk that way to her! As Emma made her way towards first period English (and she was damn late), she thought about the 'conversation'. It was more like an order report from some hot-tempered General in the Army. 

After telling Peter to go, she turned towards Chris, who was standing there. She felt so mad that she wanted to slap him. She guessed that her irritation with her brother was still there. Normally, she didn't have such urges.

"Right," she said, blowing her hair out of her face, "you better tell me what the problem is, because nobody talks to me like that."

"I, as your boyfriend, have every right to talk to you in any way I want. Why is your hair down?"

"Hello, this is the 21st century, not the 18th. Girls and boys are equal, ok? And my hair is down because I like it down."

"This equal rubbish is a curse on the betterment of society. And I don't like your hair down. Tie it up."

"No, I won't. What's got into you?"

"Did you just say 'no' to me?"

"Yeah, I did. Are you deaf?"

"Don't you dare talk to me like that! Haven't your parents taught you manners? You don't talk like that to your partner."

"My parents are firm feminists, and don't believe in your shit."

"Feminist!" He actually spat on the ground to show his disgust. "The most pathetic concept ever! That's why you have girls trying to be as good as the boys, which they can never be!"

"Hey, Lakeforest is based on it! You can't go against that so openly, you know."

"I can do anything because I'm a guy. Mark my words, my dad and I are going to change the whole concept of Lakeforest soon! And why have you been avoiding me?"

"Because I find your ideas too obsessive, and I am a feminist, so I definitely will not support you."

"How dare you-"

"Shut up, ok? I'm late for class. Bye."

Then Emma walked away.

Chris almost sounded like some obsessive male chauvinist. That couldn't be possible, right? Everyone who was a resident here had it drilled into their heads about feminism. So what was he talking about?

At the moment she didn't care. She was worried about what Ms. White would say. She was a very temperamental teacher. She opened the classroom door.

"Um, may I come in, Ms. White?"

"Ms. Deyton. You are late. Mr. Norman did tell me you'd be a little late. Might I know the reason?"

"Um, I was busy in the administrative office. I'm sorry, I won't be late again."

"You better not be. I'm passing over detention, but next time, you will be detained. Now, where were we?" She started teaching some Shakespeare sonnet as Emma stumbled into the room and sat on her seat. Peter was right behind her. She tried to control her anger at Chris' words. Then she heard Peter whisper.

"Hey, you ok?"

Emma decided to be honest.

"No."

The class continued.

*****

Emma dragged Peter to some sort of deserted place. He had no idea where they were going. The moment the bell rang, Emma took his arm and dragged him right out of class. He didn't know Em could be that strong. Maybe Ford had made her really angry. It happened.