Chapter Thirteen: Fourth Of July

Emma was having an incredibly bad week.

It didn't help the fact that this was the finals week, the last week of sophomore year. She should have been thrilled. She could get to spend her summer with the boy of her dreams.

Add to this that she had her period too, and that was killing her. Today was one of the good days, when she was just cranky and having violent thoughts and mood swings. The first two days of the monthly curse were the worst ever, but she tried not to dwell on that. Right now, she was giving her Algebra final, biting her lip not out of nervousness but to keep from loudly wincing every time a stab of pain flared in her abdomen. Really, cramps were a total deterrent to a peaceful paper. As a result, when she finished, she stormed out of the room, completely ignoring Peter.

"Hey, wait up!" He yelled. It was only his husky, sexy voice that jarred her thoughts of murdering Kelly. That girl had been totally nasty today, and if Emma wasn't the good girl she was, she would probably have gauged out Kelly's big baby blue eyes. Stupid bitch.

"What?" She almost yelled. A part of her felt bad about that, but when you were controlled by raging hormones, you overlooked stuff like this. Peter raised his eyebrows. He wasn't really used to mad Em. She had, in the seven years that she'd known him, gotten mad at him thrice. The poor guy didn't have much practice.

"You ok?"

"No, I'm not ok, Peter, what kind of a question is that?"

"Jeez, calm down!"

"I mean, why is Creation so cruel? Why did he have to make guys so utterly clueless?"

Peter stared at her. So she was ranting and taking out her irritation and anger on him, which wasn't fair, but the 'you ok' question was eating at her now. She needed something serious, not some casual inquiry.

"Ok, then, let me rephrase. You going through PMS?" His voice had turned cold. Oh, yeah, that happened whenever he got ticked off. It happened when people yelled at him for no reason. Which Emma was certainly guilty of. Anyway, Emma momentarily forgot her anger. Ok, so boys do know about PMS and stuff, but that doesn't stop it from being embarrassing. The way Em saw it, they were just damn lucky they didn't have to go through with this. And why did girls have to go through with this? Oh, right. Because they had to help the BOYS carry on THEIR legacy.

"Of c-course not!" She sounded so fake, even to herself. Peter smiled, and her cheeks heated up.

"Did I tell you this? You're a bad liar." Her shoulders slumped in defeat. There was no point in lying to a master like Peter.

"I know." Then she felt a stab of pain, and she snapped back to crazy Em.

"Sorry, I have to go." She didn't wait for him to reply.

"Woah, you didn't-"

Em waved her hand and hurried off to the washroom.

*****

"You can't take out your irritation on him, Em."

"I know, all right? It was just so frustrating! They don't seem to get it!"

"Why would he?"

She had no answer for that. They were in the washroom. By they, she meant Ali and Si. Ali was sitting on the counter, swinging her legs back and forth like a little child. Sienna was applying lip gloss, and Em was standing against the wall. She felt guilty now, terribly. She'd left Peter hanging there, without really replying to his question. He had got it, in the end, so she couldn't say clueless. But still, it took a long time.

"I just feel so irritated!" She yelled. Ali stopped her swinging.

"You know what I want to do? I want to rip out Kelly's fake blonde extensions and shove them down her stupid, miserable, bitch of a throat."