Chapter Sixteen

For the next few days I trained vigorously. I made new arrows and perfected my aim with my bow. I was even able to use a sword. Annabeth and I concocted several battle strategies and attack plans so we would be ready for the rebels. I worked with the members of the Apollo cabin to teach the newer campers archery.

All the campers were called back to camp and training sessions were thrown into overdrive. Percy was back after a brief visit to his mother. The Elementals were also back at camp, testing the limits of their powers. With all the preparations of war, I had no time to feel despair or loss, but I felt it necessary to give Lance a proper burial. We obviously didn't have a body, but a ceremony was due. I had, after all, killed him, but I owed him this one thing, if not much more.

On the day of the funeral, it snowed. We gathered in the woods, in an empty clearing and stood in a large circle. Many people spoke about him, the wonderful things he'd done, until there was nothing left to say. For them, at least. All heads turned to me when Emily had finished speaking. I raised my head.

"I haven't known Lance nearly as long as you all have. But, I know enough about him to know that he didn't deserve this ending. He was kind, he could make anyone smile or laugh, even in their darkest moments." Several demigods nodded in agreement. "He was generous. He would give up anything for all of you. He was brave. But it wasn't enough. I'm sorry for the pain I've caused him. For the pain I've caused you all. I can't bring him back, no matter how much I long to." I stopped, no words could express the sorrow I was feeling. "He will be remembered." And silence settled over us all as snow flakes breezed through the woods. I clutched on to my red rose, making the thorns jab my palms. I was the first to step forward and lay the rose in the center of the clearing. One by one, each person laid their rose next to mine until all you could smell was the flower. And one by one, everyone left. I stayed. I sat next to the pile of flowers, letting tears roll down my face. In this position I stayed until the silence was too much, and I too had to retreat from the clearing.

The arrow soared through the air, making no sound. When it hit the target, it burst into a brilliant flame, just as it was meant to. I smiled inwardly as the younger campers stared in awe at the sight. I looked over my shoulder at Percy, who was sitting next to Annabeth, their heads bent. Percy didn't even look up and made a small motion with his finger toward the target. The water from the bucket sitting beside the target raised itself up, then drenched the burning material. This received gasps from the small campers, although they had seen this routine hundreds of times before.

"Again!" One of the kids shouted. I laughed.

"Why don't you try?" I handed the young girl a bow from the weapons shed. Her eyes lit up when she grasped the smooth wood. I smiled and gave her an arrow.

"Okay, so...How do I do this again?" I stood, grabbing an arrow of my own. I notched it, waiting for the girl to do the same. She followed my lead with observant eyes, craving the knowledge. Child of Athena for sure. I pulled the string back slowly and the young girl struggled to mimic me. I knelt beside her and helped pull the string back.

"It'll get easier the more you do it."

"It's so heavy!" The girl said in a strained voice.

"Like I said, it'll get less heavy the more you do it. Now, pull the string back until your thumb is touching your cheek."

"Okay...." I followed my own instructions just as the girl did.

"Now aim. Slightly move your arms until the arrow is pointing right where you want it to go." I was really horrible at explaining this. "And...release." I let go of my own string and the arrow sailed, slicing through the air until it hit it's mark in the center of the target. The girl did the same, her arrow almost falling short of the target, but hitting it right on the edge. "Great! Just keep practicing, you're already doing incredible." The day went on like this until it was dinner time. The younger demigods raced for the pavilion as I held back with Percy and Annabeth, who were still leaned over the table. "What are you working on?" Annabeth looked up and handed me the paper they were previously bent over.

"Battle strategy, what else?" I examined the paper. I nodded and gave it back to her.

"That could work."

"I hope so."

"All this strategizing is making me hungry. Can we please eat now?" Percy interjected. I laughed and we headed for the pavilion.

Alexis and I had become close friends, even though I hadn't liked her at all the day she arrived at camp. Now we were as close as sisters, which in a sense, we were. But not even the laughs throughout the meal could take the heavy weight off of my shoulders. When dinner ended, all the cabin leaders gathered for a war council. Annabeth proposed her strategy and we talked it over.

"I think Starr should lead us into battle." I almost spat out the water I had just taken a drink of. I swallowed quickly and stared at Annabeth in bewilderment.

"What makes you suggest that?"

"Well...it is your sister we're against. Besides, you've done so much with this already."

"I agree." Inez said from across the table. I frowned as everyone started putting in their two cents.

"Enough!" The arguing ceased and all eyes laid on me. "I appreciate it, I really do, but...I just can't." I stood and left the room. The night was cold, freezing my ears and leaving my eyes burning. When I got to the cabin, I changed and went straight to sleep only to be troubled with nightmares.