Chapter Seventeen

I dreamt I was falling. Falling eternally. As I fell I saw the faces of the deceased. First was my father, then Piper. What I saw next haunted me since it had happened. All the rebels I had personally killed. They glared at me with dark, accusing eyes. I could only cry out until I was falling, heart in my throat, past them. After a long time of falling, hair whipping past my face, I saw one face I never thought I would never see again. Lance. Time seemed to slow as I passed him. His golden eyes stared at me with hatred.

"You did this." I heard him whisper. It was like he was right beside me, but he was so far away. I reached out for him, but I was falling too quickly.

"Lance!" Then he was gone. I covered my face with my hands. When would the journey down end? When I removed my hands from my face, I was twisted around, facing the ground.

"No!" I screamed in terror. "I have mistakes to fix!" Before I hit the ground I woke, screaming. I sat up, and pushed my hair back with my hands. I held my knees close to my chest, terrified. I hung my head, leaning my forehead against my knees in defeat.

I felt a hand on my back. I looked up to see Alexis, a worried look on her face. I hugged her tightly, ugly sobs escaping me. Alexis just let me have my meltdown. I pulled away, wiping my tears with the backs of my hands.

"I'm fine, sorry for waking you." Alexis nodded and padded back to her bed. I curled up, feeling smaller and more hopeless than usual. Here I stayed, looking at the darkness for the rest of the night.