Chapter 10: Get Him to Think About His Family (Revised)

'boy and a girl

trying to take on the world,

and we want to get caught'- Happily Ever After- He is We

Alyssa's POV

After I had yelled at Austin, I stormed out of the grave yard. I couldn't take it. I didn't even want to be seen like that in front of him. In a way, it was sort of sweet. He was worried about me. He wanted to be my rock to lean on; a friend that I needed at the time.

I didn't mean to yell at him. I just didn't like the pity he was showing me. I mean, pity doesn't do you any good. All it shows is weakness and failure. It shows that you're too small and fragile to take the news or challenge or whatever it is that you're crying over. So really, what does pity do you? Nothing. Exactly nothing.

I was breathing in and out, speed walking down the road to the motel we were 'staying' in. My fists clenched shut tight and I was inhaling and exhaling through my nose. My mouth was shut into a firm line, because I knew if I opened my mouth, nothing but sobs and yelling would escape. Right now, Austin already saw me cry. He saw how defeated I looked. I can't let him see me even worse.

"Ally. Ally, please, wait up!" I heard Austin yell from behind as he tried to catch up to me. Another tear slid down my cheek at the nickname Charlotte gave me. Charlotte would call me Ally. I'd call her Char.

"Alyssa," Austin breathed, out of breath as he held his knees to catch his breath. I looked down at him. He looked so pale and weak; skinny and bony. Like, he hasn't eaten in days- weeks even.

"How come you haven't been eating?" I question, ignoring the questioning look he's giving me.

When he finally caught his breath, he bent up and straightened his back. "Well, mostly because... I haven't had the time, and I just didn't really think about it at at the time." He shrugged off as if it were nothing. But I certainly didn't think it just 'nothing'.

I stopped walking and looked at him, shocked that he'd brush it off so well. "Austin, you're eating as soon as we get back to the motel." I state sternly, daring him with my eyes to defy me.

He lets out a chuckle, before nodding. "Okay, okay. Don't hurt me," he jokes with a playful smile.

I smile and nod, before shoving my hands in my pockets and continue walking. Austin and I walk in silence for the rest of the journey to the motel. Once we get there, we head upstairs and I wait until Austin goes in first, and then I go through the door.

"So, what'd we got to eat?" Austin shouted from the kitchen. Honestly, I didn't know. I didn't know what kind of food we had or if we even had any.

"I don't know!" I called back.

Austin came back in the room and flopped on the small, plush couch in front of the small TV. "Nothing. Guess I can't eat at the moment." Austin waved it off and turned the TV on.

I glared at the back of his head. "Really," I said, irritated that he wasn't even caring about his health. Me? I can't exactly do anything now. I'm... a ghost. I can't really eat anything, who knows what will happen. It might be like one of those movies and go straight through me.

Once Austin found that I was giving him 'the look', he sighed and turned around. "Alright. I have an idea." He said, his face brightening up at the idea he had in mind but, as soon as it came, it faded.

I frowned, wondering what was going on in his head. "What? What was the idea?" I asked, wanting to know what he had in mind.

"I.. I can't. I can't go back," he murmured to himself, looking down. His eyes suddenly drained of its color as his face became pale; as if a memory was playing in his head.