Chapter 13: Stacey's Story (Revised)

'This is a song for the broken girl...

the one pushed aside by the cold, cold, world.

you are...

hear me when I say, 

you're not the worthless they made you feel. 

There is a love they can never steal, away- Broken Girl by Mathew West

I blinked. Not quite believing what I just heard. "St-Stacey? As in... Austin's Stacey?" I asked stupidly.

She laughed at my stuttering, but nodded with a dull look in her eyes.

"Yes," she said. "But, he's not mine anymore." A sad smile crossed her face. 

Suddenly a thought occurred to me. "What were you going to do?" I blurted out. 

Stacey blinked, as if she was in a daze. "What?" She asked.

"Austin told me the text you sent him the day you...." I trailed off, not wanting to say it. "What were you going to do?" I asked, fearing the answer.

She looked at me, as if already knowing what I was thinking. She nodded. "I was, going to commit suicide." She whispered.

I closed my eyes, feeling my eyes beginning to brim with tears. I don't know why though. I didn't really even know her. Suddenly, I felt a tight squeeze on my shoulder. My eyes shot open, wide. Stacey was right in front of me, her hand on my shoulder, a look of joy crossed her face.

"I knew I could never make him 100% happy Alyssa," she started. "I wasn't the one for him. It just, wasn't me," she stopped, looking into my eyes. "It's you Alyssa. You're the one that can change him, you're the one." Stacey smiled at me.

I knitted  my eyebrows together. "H-how are you touching me?" I asked, ignoring the last comment.

She rolled her eyes. "We're both ghost Alyssa. We can make skin contact," She chuckled as if it was obvious. "But, you need to go now, and explain. I can't stand seeing Austin so hurt and broken again. He already lost me. He can lose you as well." She drawled out desperately. 

I closed my eyes again. "Why?" I asked.

"Why what?" She asked, confused.

"I wanna know why you did it. I wanna know... you." I told her. The more I looked her over, the more I could understand how Austin had fallen in love with her. She was absolutely stunning!

She sighed. "You really wanna know?" She asked.

I nodded. "You're special to Austin, therefore you're special to me,"I said without thinking.

My eyes widened, but Stacey just shook her head with a bemused smile.

"My life was hell," She started out. Isn't everyone's now? I thought sarcastically. "Nothing seemed to be going my way. My parents were never there, and when they died, me and my brother didn't really shed any tears. It was as if they were complete strangers to us. My brother was all I had left. And then, he committed suicide after the girl he loved, broke his heart," she laughed bitterly. 

"I was so torn over that! I had cried for days and days, not wanting to come out of my room at all. I didn't care about anything. My brother was the only one who understood me. The only one, who took care of me. He was my rock," she smiled slightly, a pained smile.

"I eventually went back to school, and met Austin," She smiled again. "It was him, who was my new rock. He made me feel nervous, and special at the same time. He made me feel like I was loved. He, made me feel...." She trailed off, a sad look in her eyes now.