six

MANDAG 12:42

Sitting in their usual lunch-time location in the corner of the courtyard were Jonas, Mahdi and Magnus - all except Magnus laughing hysterically about something Isak must have missed.  "Boys." Isak greeted as he approached his friends.

"Oh man, Isak, dude," Jonas stutters between laughs. "You missed the funniest fucking thing. Vilde and this other girl, Brit I think her name was, walked up to us to invite us to some party, right? And Vilde was wearing a thin shirt and - get this - no bra."

"It was really hot." Magnus interjects.

"Okay, sure. But this dumbass," he jerks his finger at a red-faced Magnus who was clutching his right cheek. "He looks Vilde up and down and says, 'Is it cold or are you just happy to see me?'"

"No..." Isak laughs and looks incredulously at Magnus. "Dude!"

"So Vilde's eyes go huge and without a single word she just slaps him across the face. Hard. I swear you'd be able to hear it from a mile away." Jonas nods to Magnus' ever-swelling cheek and continues laughing.

"I thought it was really smooth of me!" Magnus groans. "I guess it wasn't."

"No, it definitely wasn't." Mahdi agrees. "On the plus side, though, we got invited to a third years' party. Brit. And she's totally into Jonas."

Jonas furrows his eyebrows. "She is not." 

"Oh, come on. She is! She was eye-fucking you the entire time." Mahdi argues.

"Congrats, man." Isak chuckles, instantly feeling guilty thinking about Eva and her hidden feelings for Jonas. "Is she cute?"

"Yeah, I guess." He shrugs. "She asked about you. Well, for her sister. She has a sister in the first year who thinks you're cute and she's going to be at the party. This is your chance, man!"

"Sweet." Isak smirks, flattered to be someones' crush, just not particularly excited about it. He reasons that it must be because she was a year younger than him, or perhaps because he had no clue who she was. Somewhere in the back of his mind he thought back to Even and wondered what he would think of Isak entering a relationship with the mystery girl, then shaking his head and wondering why his thoughts always seemed to return to Even.

"Isak, hi." He hears someone say beside him. Speak of the devil.

He glances to his side to see Even smiling sweetly at him, then at the rest of the boys who looked confusedly at one another. "H-Hi." Isak stutters and shifts his gaze to the filthy asphalt beneath him.

"You're more confident over text, I see." He chuckles lightheartedly. "Speaking of, you never did end up texting me."

"Oh, I-" He swallows dryly. He could feel his friends' puzzled looks burning into the side of his head. "Yeah." The truth was that he had figured Even wouldn't want to text him. That he would feel as though Isak was forcing a friendship that Even couldn't care less about. He had decided that he would only text Even when it was necessary.

Even tilts his head in confusion, obviously bemused by Isak's indifference. Did Isak not like him? Had he really meant that he only wanted Even's number because of the off-chance that they would need to contact each other in an emergency?  "Okay..." He chuckles awkwardly.

"Sorry I just..." Isak bites his lip and glances at his friends before returning his eyes to the ground.

It was then that a realization hit Even. One of two things was happening. Either Isak was embarrassed to be socializing with someone who openly liked boys (unlikely, seeing as Isak seemed intrigued by Even and his relationship, but still possible), or Isak did, in fact, like Even - perhaps a little more than Isak was comfortable with. Even preferred to think it was the latter. "Okay." Even repeats, this time smiling ever-so-slightly. "I'll text you, how about that?"