lady of the lake

She stood there on top of the water as if it was solid

  She stood there on top of the water as if it was solid. She knelt down and gazed at her reflection as she pushed a lock of her hair behind her ear.

"Look! There's a pretty lady on top of the water" A boy's voice pierced through the air as he pointed towards her.

The lady turned her head towards the direction of the voice and saw what appeared to be a small family: a father, a mother and a child.

The mother crouched down and patted the child's head. "Whatever are you talking about? There's nobody there"

The boy pouted and stomped his foot before jabbing a finger into the air, pointing towards the lady on top of the water. "But there IS a lady! She's on top of the lake right there!"

He turned his head before his eyes went as wide as saucer plates. "Where did she go?"

The mother sighed and stood up before turning towards her husband and said, "Do you think he heard the story about this place? About the lady who walks on water?"

The husband looked at the scenery. Sakura petals danced in the air before some of them would land on top of the water surface and create small ripples. "That's impossible. It's just a figment of one's imagination"

He looked down at his son and saw him shooting glances everywhere to look for the mystery lady. "You should go and help your mom get our stuff. I'll check if we can hang out by that tree next to the water"

The defeated and disappointed boy nodded and held his mother's hand as they went back to the car.

The man brushed his hair with his fingers as he strode towards the cherry blossom tree.

"I was hurt there"

He stopped dead on his tracks. The lady was leaning her back on the tree and he was just at the opposite side.

"Impossible? Me? Figment of imagination?"

The man sighed and continued walking before their eyes finally met each other.

"You've grown" She said. "Back then I always looked down on you"

"Hey, was that double meaning?" The man seemed to have reverted towards his younger self.

The lady giggled. The only ones who could see her are the ones who believes that she existed. She was like the man's imaginary friend back in the younger days.

He had to admit. He had a crush on her back then but knowing how it wasn't possible for spirits and humans to be together, he had to kill that emotion he felt for her.

She looked over his shoulder and saw his family walking towards their way.

"I'm glad you found someone" She smiled. "I should take my leave now"

The boy perked up when he noticed the lady and his father face to face. He was about to talk until a blast of wind blinded them.

When he opened his eyes, the lady was nowhere in sight. He ran towards his father and asked, "Daddy, why did she leave?"

The father sent a look at his son and smiled. "What do you mean? She'll always be here, to those who believe in her"

The males started preparing everything. The mother walked towards them to help but looked over her shoulder first, her eyes met the lady who was once again on top of the water.

Both of them exchanged smiles and waved goodbye.

"Hey dad, the lady looks like Mommy, doesn't she?"

. . .

Honestly as the days pass, I don't know what I'm writing anymore xD