Chapter 16: #Swimming Not Winning

(A/N: my other book only has sixteen chapters... interesting.)

After the football game, Maya slips away from the crowd and passes the boy's locker room toward the pool area.

She makes her way onto the bleachers and clings tightly to her jacket, shivering from the ice cold bleachers.

"EXPECT NOTHING BUT PAIN, BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS AT OUR NEXT PRACTICE BOYS! WE CAN NOT AFFORD ANOTHER LOSS, IF WE DO IN FACT LOSE NEXT WEEKEND, WE WON'T MAKE IT TO THE FINALS AND MOVE ON. WE'LL JUST HAVE A TEA PARTY AND SAY, "WELL AT LEAST WE TRIED."

One of the football players rolls his eyes at the coach's words, they played an outstanding team on the field and put up a good fight. The other team just seemed to want it more.

"A tea party?" A boy asks confused and the coach lets out a growl, "LISTEN YOU IMBECILES, do out want participation trophies or a huge championship trophy?"

"CHAMPIONSHIP!" Some exclaim.

"What?" He asks.

"CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!" They all shout and the coach nods his head in approval. "Good. Now get some rest and ice your legs, we need to do well in our final games and I don't want any of you to be less than 100%."

They all huddle together, screaming out their cheer for the school and then they swarm out like bees from a broken hive.

Lucas follows Maya's trail, and grins as he sees her sitting patiently.

"H...hi." She says with her lips quivering from the cold.

"Hey." He takes a seat beside her and pulls her into a warm hug, he's still cooling down from his game.

"You did good today, even though you're a loser." She tells him with a small smile.

"I'm a winner by being friends with you." He tells her and she rolls eyes, "what a line."

"I'm serious, I love y-being your friend." He tells her and she shrugs, "okay I believe you."

She stares blankly at the pool and sighs, "I forgot how to swim."

"What?" He asks and she repeats herself, "I don't know how to swim. When we were younger I swam a couple times but it seems to always be cold here."

Lucas gets up and takes his shirt off, and Maya looks up at him bewildered. "Have you lost your mind, Huckleberry!?"

He shakes his head and pulls her up from the bleachers, "Are you wearing spanks and a sports bra?" He asks and she nods. "Yeah but they don't match."

"Who cares if they match!?" He asks and her face goes red as she whines, "I do. Also, it's cold, are you really-LUCAS!" She shrieks his name as he takes the initiative to pull her skirt down for her.

"Boy, I've dreamt of this in a completely different way before." He tells her and her jaw drops. He laughs, "I'm kidding. Lighten up, Hart."

She gives up on the thought of staying warm and pulls the rest of her skirt off to reveal purple spanks and a bright teal sports bra. "Happy!?" She asks and takes a moment to rub his chin as if he's thinking of a clever reply.

"Not. Yet." He says and then pushes her into the pool.

She immediately panics, and tries swimming to the surface, when she does she chokes for air. He comes in after her and she has a coughing fit as she clings to him.

She softly hits him, "YOU JERK!" She tells and he laughs, "Calm down. I wouldn't have let you drown. Now look on the bright side, it's warmer in here than it was outside."

"I wouldn't be surprised if you peed or something." She mutters under her breath and he chuckles, "I'm trying to prevent myself from doing so." He informs.

She's still clinging to him as he swims toward the edge of the pool, but he's going to the deep end which dips down to around 12-13ft.

"You are going to swim to the other side." He tells her confidently.

She shakes her head, "In your dreams."

He pulls her arms away from him and shows her how she should kick her legs and use her arms. Furthermore, how to breath.

(A/N: my school has a pool and it was so annoying because we had to do a swim unit and I'm pale and insecure about that. I don't think I'm fat, but I'm not skin and bone thin. I am insecure over my weight because my cousins are skin and bone tho.)

He gives her a thumbs up from the other side and she starts to swim.

"YOU BOYFRIEND STEALING BITCH!" They suddenly hear and there's someone else in the pool, pushing Maya's head down into the water.

Maya is frantically trying push the hands away and catch her breath, there are black rings developing around her eyes as her eyesight become distorted.

Lucas rushes over quickly and tries pulling Missy away as well. He pulls her hair and she tells in pain. Lucas grabs Maya and swims back onto the concrete.

Maya throws up all the water she consumed when she returns to the bleachers. Lucas mentally debated whether he should stay with Maya or kill Missy.

He chose Maya.

(A/N: All my chapters are short and stuff but I feel like I should let you know that Missy ran off after being psycho when she realizes that he loves maya. I feel bad for Missy because she, in my opinion, thought she was Lucas' Maya. But she can never fill those shoes and Maya will always be first.)