Chapter 4

They lead Belle into the building and her nose starts to twitch like a bunny as she breathes in the familiar smells of floor wax and rosin. 

“It smells like floor wax, rosin, and the hopes and dreams of those striving for perfection but knowing they will never reach it,” says Belle as Niall leads her to the back part of the studio.

“That’s kinda harsh don’t you think?” says Louis.

“Oh no, it’s reality,” replies Monsieur Gillian coming out of the studio.  The old French man with his bald head is grinning at the blind folded Belle who started to grin at the sound of his voice.  Niall removes the blindfold and Belle quickly closes the short distance between her and Monsieur Gillian to hug him.  They embrace for a long time and when they pull away both have tears in their eyes.

“I’ve missed you so much mon petit protégé!”

“I’ve missed you too!” 

“Thank you all for bringing her back to life,” Gillian says turning to the others.

“We didn’t really do much,” says Niall modestly still not realizing that without him Belle wouldn’t have wanted to dance again. 

“You still don’t see it do you?” asks Jess.

“See what?”

“Without you I wouldn’t be here now,” says Belle turning back to him taking his hand in hers and gazing into his eyes.  He holds her gaze slightly blushing from the compliment.  

“So this is your boyfriend that your dad mentioned?” says Gillian looking Niall up and down critically, “I shall withhold approval until I know him better.  Come the others are waiting.”  The group follows him into the large mirrored room where a group of about ten people are gathered in, stretching.  One girl with bright red hair twisted into a bun on the top of her head and pale skin is the first to see them and jumps up with an excited scream and comes and tackles Belle.  Belle lets out an excited squeal as they start to fall.  Soon the others are there pushing each other out of the way so they can get a hug from Belle.  Soon it is impossible to tell what is being said because everyone is talking at once.  Belle is talking and laughing with everyone when someone else comes into the room unnoticed.  He stands by the door just looking at her.  When she finally looks towards the door her smile fades and she stands still.  Everyone quiets down and turns to see what she is looking at. 

“Sorry I’m late,” says Channing walking up to her.  Belle is still unable to speak.

“Hey Channing,” Deven and Jess say giving Belle a chance to recover from her shock.  He turns to them and his eyes widen a little.

“Wow!  You guys grew up!” he says smiling and giving them hugs.

“Well that tends to happen over the years,” laughs Jess.

“Very true,” he laughs, his eyes flicking over to Belle.

“Why are you here?” Belle asks softly.

“Because I’m your friend and I’m here to help you start dancing again.”

“After all those horrible things I said to you, you still came?”

“Yes,” he says seriously, “and they weren’t that bad.”  Belle takes a step closer to him and wraps her arms around him and he squeezes her tightly. 

“I’m also here to say I told you so,” he whispers to her after a moment.  Giggling and whipping away a few tears she pulls away and introduces him to everyone. 

“So are we dancing or what?” asks Lola the red haired girl who had first tackled Belle. 

“Yes,” the others laughed.  Belle hangs back with Niall suddenly unsure.