Chapter Twenty-Six: Spanish Confessions

"How big is he?" The girl with the heavy accent giggles

"I don't know. I think six or seven inches" Evelyn shifted on the bed and moved her cell phone to the ear.

"Ooh, that's a little dangerous. No se puede hacer. No can do." She tsks.

Evelyn rolls her eyes. Her best friend is truly a scaredy cat. For her to be so feisty she sure is easily frightened. A true oxymoron if Evelyn's ever met one.

"It's just a snake and a baby one at that. George picked it up and everything." Evelyn recalls. "You're just scared of anything that crawls, Kim."

Kimberly laughed at her best friend that clearly knows her well. Kimberly does not tolerate animals or insects, at all. She is easily terrified and had come to terms with this long ago. She has never had a pet.

After listening to Evelyn's horror story about how a snake escaped its tank while she and her boyfriend were window-shopping at the pet store, she frankly never will. She'll leave that foolery to her best friend.

"Anyways, did y'all get anything? Like a cute puppy or something?" Kimberly changes the subject slyly.

Evelyn caught on but decides against mentioning it. She will give Kimberly a pass, this time.

"No. We were just looking. Besides, I'm already crashing at his place. Wouldn't make sense to force him to adopt a puppy as well. That's not even in his lease." Evelyn sighs.

Of course, she saw a few puppies and kittens that she wouldn't mind co-parenting with George. She also knew that George had warned her not to get attached to any of the animals she saw. It was hard, but Evelyn did her best.

"Damn. Sorry about that, Ev." Kimberly sighs. "Now tell me about this living arrangements of y'all's."

Kimberly really wanted to know. Of the few times that she did see her best friend during her month in town, she seemed to be in high spirits and her eyes definitely sparkled whenever George was mentioned. Kimberly had to wonder what exactly had her smiling so hard, but Evelyn would not tell. Kimberly still jumped to her own conclusions, though.

Evelyn rolls her eyes and turns over. She smiles at the sleeping beast in front of her. It is seven o'clock in the morning and he is still sound asleep. Evelyn found out quickly that the beast is not an early riser like she is, not at all.

She brushes her fingers across his face lightly, too afraid to wake him and ruin the moment. He looked so peaceful with his full lips parted and thick eyebrows crinkled. She has also learned that she loves waking up next to him.

"We sleep in the same bed." She trails her fingers over his sideburns. "But hands are kept to themselves."

"Don't lie to me, Evelyn!" Kim accuses causing Evelyn to roll her eyes. "You can't tell me that you--"

"Lay in this bed every night and he doesn't touch me." Evelyn smiles and bends awkwardly to peck his lips. "No matter how bad I want him to sometimes." She adds dejectedly.

Evelyn waits for him to stir. When he doesn't move, Evelyn rolls over and pulls the covers over her shoulder.

"Is something wrong with this George character?" Kimberly asks, genuinely concerned.

Evelyn bites down on her bottom lip. There is definitely nothing wrong with George. She doesn't know why he keeps shying away from her when it comes to sex. He's done almost everything but put his mouth where he claims it is suppose to belong. This frustrates Evelyn.

George has been making it hard not to want him lately. He walks around shirtless. Never ceases to not touch her. He whispers the most terrifyingly pleasant dirty nuances in her ear but he refuses to be a man of his word. Evelyn does not know why.