Chapter Thirty-One: Aftermath

George had a terrible migraine that he could not shake. He blamed it on the previous night's events and that only induced the pain. He doesn't remember much from last night, but his headache is proof that last night turned out to be pretty stressful.

The last thing he remembers is hugging his father. The events that led to such an embrace has been forgotten, but the embrace itself has been forever embedded in George's head.

His father's larger frame wrapping around him tightly while whispering incoherent words into his son's ear was something George would never forget, but he still wishes he could remember everything else.

It must have been quite a scene for Evelyn. George didn't mean to settle things with his parents in front of Evelyn the way he did, even when the sole intent for the impromptu visit was to do just that. George still didn't want it to play out the way it did - it was too personal.

He and Evelyn maybe in a relationship, but there are certain things that George still didn't feel comfortable sharing, especially his issues with his parents.

Nevertheless, Evelyn apparently took it well from what George can remember. She held his hand and remained silent as the Mills' settled their battle with one another. George appreciated her respect. He was afraid she would intrude and try to play mediator, but instead, she sat back and only comforted him when necessary. George really had to thank her for that.

Therefor, he slept a lot lighter last night and actually looked forward to this morning. Well, not exactly, but something along those lines.

George groaned as he turned over. The mattress beneath him creaked with his movements. When he was finally on his side, George released a heavy sigh and forced his eyes opened.

He blinked a few times to adjust to the bright room. From what he can see, this is not his bedroom. He is not in his apartment. He sighed once more before closing his eyes again.

He doesn't want to get up. George knows that if he rises from the bed, he will have to face his parents. If he has to face his parents, his migraine will never go away. If his migraine never goes away, George will be stuck with his agony. Therefore, the bed is his safe haven.

Well, it was until the sound of the door knob jiggling caused his eyes to shoot open. The bed was his haven until her presence consumed him. The bed was his haven until she became the definition of the word.

"Are you okay?" She whispers lifting the covers to squeeze herself in.

George never opened his eyes as she stole the silence of the room. He didn't even open his eyes as he found her torso and wrapped his arms around her. No, he didn't want to open his eyes even as he pulled her close and inhaled. The bed no longer mattered. She is his haven now.

"I'm a fucking sap for you, Ev." He sighs before inhaling her again. "A complete fucking sap."

Evelyn readjusted herself comfortably against his chest and sighed aloud. George wasn't making any sense and it still bothered her to not know why.

She knows it has something o do with last night's events, but,  obviously, George surely does not want to talk about those events. She can understand why, there was a lot going on that night.

After his emotional breakdown, his mother came to his aid and apologized to him in English before whispering sweet nothings in their native tongue. His father moved slowly as he joined mother and son. He looked pained as well when he lifted George's chin and looked him in the eye.

Mr. Mills didn't say anything but father and son nodded at on another. George released Evelyn's hand and rose to acknowledge his father. The two men wrapped their arms around each other and cried together. The father apologizing for his son's pain and the son finally letting go of his pain.