Chapter 7- Moonlight [EDITTED]

Chapter 7

I AWAKEN TO THE SERENE HUM OF THE CENTRAL AIR VENTIILATION SYSTEM IN THE WALLS OF MY BEDROOM. My vision is black, my eyelids sealed shut from the salty residue left behind from my tears. I rub my eyes for a few seconds, and they snap open. The sight before my perceptiveness sends tremors through my body; it is skin. It is positively not my skin, but Jacob’s. I must have fallen asleep last night while crying- a habit I’ve had since birth- and he decided to spend the night. I lay in bed, listening to his rhythmic breathing and sturdy heartbeat as I keep my head on his bare chest. I close my mind off to thinking about what happened yesterday, and try to ponder about something else.

I lift my hands up to slightly rest them against his shoulders. I think this awakes him. He inhales deeply and pulls me up to his level. 

"Good morning, sunshine." he says, smiling. His white teeth flash brilliantly, and I could feel the blood rushing to my face. I remember once when my mother described me as an ‘open book’. That is one trait of mine that she is not incorrect about.

"Good morning, Jake." I respond, mistakenly sounding flirty. In mid-sentence I try correcting my tone of voice, which makes it sound even more odd. 

"I'm sorry about my father last night; he can be tough. He’ll never understand. He only hears what he wants to."

I'm not quite sure what my parents are thinking at the moment. I don't care about them anymore. They are half the reason why I'm depressed; I do not need them. That is one thing people have always disagreed with me about. I firmly do not believe that blood is thicker than water. Family is virtuously a psychological bond with one another; genetics mean nothing.

“Blood is not thicker than water.” I shake my head slowly. “You can find a new family, with people who aren’t going to control you.”

“How about we start with just the two of us?” he smiles slightly, a rosy shade of pink falling onto his cheeks.

“I would love that.” I say earnestly.

“If you could live anywhere in this world right now, where would you want to be?”

“I’ve always wanted to live in Canada.”

“You want to live in Canada- out of all places?”

“It is amazing there. There’s no bickering over gay marriage, and plus, their college tuition is nothing compared to the United States.”

“Touché. The real question is: would you let me come with you?”

“Who would carry all of the heavy stuff if you didn’t come?”

“Again, you have a very good point.” We both laugh, and the feeling of bliss flows back into me.

“Where would you go?”

“Alaska.”

“You bash me for wanting to go to Canada, but you want to go to Alaska?”

He nods seriously. “Alaska is bursting with biological diversity. And the geography of the state is fascinating.”

I stare into his electric blue eyes and see a person unrelated to the Jake his father knows. He is not Jacob Coleman- the manly quarterback and the heartbreaker. He is Jacob Coleman- the complex, smart, and intricate sensitive-guy.

“When do you want to go?”

His eyes gleam with excitement. “You would really go with me?”

“I would go anywhere with you, not to mention anywhere but here.

I look outside, and see that the sun hasn’t peaked over the horizon yet. My clock says that it's six o' clock in the morning. The sky flashes aggressively with a blue lightning.