Chapter 8- Gray [EDITTED]

Chapter 8

IT IS EARLY WEDNESDAY NIGHT, AND THE SUN HAS SLIPPED BEHIND THE HORIZON FOR THE EVENING. I am at a local diner called the ‘Glider’, an old-fashioned airplane their logo of choice. I’ve always been fascinated by this place, mainly because of the avid 50s décor. The booths and seats are all made out of bright aluminum and are accented by the fire-hydrant red cushions. The floor is a black and white checkered tile, a pattern popular in 50s kitchens.

Now thinking about it, the 50s and early 60s has always captivated me- the ideology of the era. It was labeled “America’s Prime” for a reason. Women always had their hair done up, with a party dress on. They were expected to have dinner on the table when he got home with a plastered smile, wide on her face. She was a housewife- demeaned and suppressed. She was a doll, simply there for her husband’s entertainment. Everything wasn’t perfect in the 50s; it was just set up to look that way.

Lily’s hair falls onto her face as she talks, “I can’t believe he kissed you.”

Amanda mumbles quietly, “I told you he wasn’t straight.” She sticks a French fry in her mouth and smiles in a way that seemed to shout, ‘I told you so!’

“Jacob Coleman is the last person on Earth you would think liked men.”

“It’s always the unsuspected ones that end up being gay.” Amanda rolls her eyes, clearly annoyed by Lily. If I am being completely honest, she was getting on my nerves as well. Instead of being supportive- like a best friend should be- she is acting in denial.

“Can we all just be happy for me?” I spit, taking a sip of water to subdue my anger.

Lily’s eyes grow sad and she says, “I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

“That’s what love is- a risky chance.” Gray does not exist in love; it is either black or white. There is no in between.

“And if it ends in failure?”

“That’s life, but at least I got to kiss him.” I let out a lighthearted laugh, and they both quickly join in.

"Was he a good kisser?” Amanda pipes up; she acting strangely enthusiastic about everything that has been happening to me. I would not dare question her good mood though; it is rare to see her in this mannor. I did not want to jinx it.

“It was only my first kiss; I have no past experience to base it off of.” I frown as I finish my sentence. The rest of my high school population had their first kiss at the age of thirteen, and now most of them have lost their virginity as well. I am Mother Theresa, quite honestly.

“Okay, let me rephrase my question: was it a good first kiss?”

There’s a slight flutter inside of my stomach as I recall the feeling of his lips hard against mine. “It was perfect.”

An odd feeling washes over me again, the same way it did yesterday. Something is not right. I gaze outside of the window, studying the flickering, orange street-light. The road is empty, and a car hasn’t passed the restaurant for about twenty minutes or so.

I shudder. “Do you ever get the feeling you’re being watched?” Lily and Amanda’s face twist with fear. It isn’t exactly the best feeling to have.

“I’ve been feeling like that a lot lately.” Lily says seriously, glancing around the room. There is one middle-aged man sitting at the counter, and a couple from our school in the far corner. Besides that, only the employees are here.

“I have too.” I say.

In reality, I know it is my forceful anxiety that is making me feel like this. I’m on the edge, as far as I know. I frown deeply.

I’m hanging by my fingers.