chapter 4

My day flew by just trying to make headway on the book of shadows Gran had given me. I know she says it has a story to tell me but finding out who it belonged to would make the story easier to navigate. But that's what I've always loved about her, she always encouraged us to discover things on our own. Not that she didn't like to lead when she could or maybe just when it suited her.

Even without knowing who the book belonged to I had learned that it was someone who had a lot to teach and it seemed like someone worth knowing. I doubted however that it was someone still alive to teach me, otherwise I doubt the gift of the book would be such a mystery.

Along with the story the book was attempting to tell I found quite a few new twist I was eager to try adding to my own repertoire. The writer must have been a nature witch of some sort as opposed to the elemental teachings Ses and I followed. Which of course is just a choice of where one's strengths lay.

After a long day of reading and a late supper it was time to head over to see Leon. I wanted to be there by nine this evening so I could get in to talk with him before he got a chance to leave for the night. Generally I would have made an appointment before seeing him but being as I was there to find out why he wasn't postponing any transitions until we could stop whatever or whoever was killing his newlings I felt catching him off guard was my best option.

I parked in the middle of the empty museum parking lot so that I wasn't hard to see walking to the door that lead under the old capital building . I wanted to surprise Leon not the guard at the door that could be a bad idea if the guard didn't know me.

As It happened I didn't recognize the guard at the door. He was a scrawny little man who didn't really fit with Leon's normal guard type. Nearly all his men were shifters and looked like they doubled as brawlers during their off hours. This guy was well average. Maybe five foot five inches no real muscle to be seen. Reddish orange hair and he was wearing a cheap suit and tie. If Leon was going a new direction with this guy it wasn't one that would keep people away. Heck I bet I could take this guy in a one on one fight without my magic. As I got closer he tracked my movement with his dark beady eyed stare. I said hello as I reach close enough for him to hear me even if he wasn't a shifter. He did not reply he just followed my progress with those cold eyes. As I came to a stop in front of him he did not say anything just looked at me . If he was trying the strong silent type he was missing part of the equation.

"I'm Analese . I'm here to see Leon."

He looked me up and down then stated, "You're not on the list."

I cracked a half smile and said, "I didn't realize Leon's club had become so exclusive or I'd have made a reservation."

He just continued to glare at me. Ok so this visit was starting off great. Not! "Listen new guy, Leon will want to see me just check with him . I'll wait."

"No need if you're not on the list you don't get in."

"Now listen here! I know you have a job to do and you don't know me but I can assure you that I have business with Leon he will want to see me. Now if you could just let me in or I can wait while you get someone who has a clue ."

" Look lady I don't want to have to remove you but I will. If you want to schedule an appointment then next time I will gladly let you in."

By this point I'm getting more than a little pissed off. "Great call them. Most of Leon's guys know me they will vouch and we can get past this."

"I won't be helping for Leon's guys to vouch for you because he isn't who gives my orders . Now for the last time you need to be on your way!"

The shock on my face must've been apparent because his smile was quite smug.I reluctantly turned away to walk to my car when I noticed that there was someone standing by my drivers side door. From this distance I couldn't be sure who it was and wasn't giving anyone the chance to get a jump on me so I prepped a knockback spell just to be safe.