Woes of the Stars

Elana smiled, getting in the last compartment in the train. She left her luggage there and ran back out giving her dad one last hug. She looked around at the people on the platform.

She had just finished winter break and was going back to her second home. Her and her father made line of snowmen in the yard and had a bewitched snowball fight. They only had each other at the house and they decided to make the best of it. Elana had gotten a book on mermaids from her father, a book on chocolate from Remus, a snitch necklace from James, a scarf from Lily, gloves from Peter, and a nice card from Severus. She hadn't heard anything from Sirius and she hoped he was okay. She decided to just hand give his present. She gave her father a dolphin fountain, Remus a refilling chocolate jar, James a book on his favorite Quidditch team, Lily a dress, Peter a book on animals, and Severus some money so he could buy something he wanted since she wasn't sure on what he wanted.

She looked around and finally spied Sirius. She was happy to see him until she saw his unhappy face. He was talking to a beautiful strict looking lady, a lady who take down armies with her stare. Elana assumed the woman was Sirius's mother, as he had to get his looks from somewhere. Behind her was a man, who she assumed was his father.

She walked over to them, after giving her father one last hug before he had to leave, and stood next to Sirius, a smile plastered on her face. She squeezed his hand with her left hand as she stuck out her right.

"Hi," she said. "My name's Elana. I'm assuming you're Sirius's mother, Mrs. Black?"

"What misfortune," she muttered, putting her hands behind her back. She gave Elana a lowkey withering state, that wanted to make her crumble but Elana decided to stay strong for her friend.

Elana shook her arm, that was still in the air, waiting for the woman to shake her hand. The lady sighed and shook her hand.

"Persistence of children," she muttered.

"Sir?" Elana asked, holding out her hand to Sirius's father, who timidly shook. Mrs. Black no longer looked angry but somewhat curious.

"What house do you belong in? Surely not Gryffindor?"

Elana knew that question would surely bring harm to Sirius so she answered as vaguely as she could.

"Not Gryffindor," she admitted. "What do you reckon?"

The train blew its horn.

"Okay, well, see you later, Mr. and Mrs. Black," she called, dragging Sirius on the train, who was still dumbfounded by her performance in front of his parents. She opened the compartment, only to find Remus already there.

"Remmy!" She said, hugging him.

"And Sirius," she said, turning and hugging him.

"How did you even do that?" He asked her ten minutes later as Remus, James and Peter were in conversation.

"Do what?" She asked, pulling her hair behind her ear.

"My mum usually ends up making people cry when she stares at them like that," he admitted. "And I have no idea how you even got her to shake your hand. Wow," he said, clearly in amazement.

"Aw, well, it was nothing really. I thought you needed a little help facing her, so we did it together."

"Yea," he murmured.

"Tough break?" She asked. He nodded sadly.

"I didn't realize she would hate me because I became Gryffindor. She didn't sound mad in the letter. But when I came home, she used every chance to be ridicule me. The only person who talked to me decently was my older cousin Andromeda, and I don't even think she's going to be invited anymore, since she's getting married to Ted Tonks, and he's a Muggle Born. As soon as I got home, she looked at me with such disappointment and wouldn't even look at me. When she did it was just a glare and it hurt because I didn't realize- I didn't realize she would hate me because I-"

He looked so upset, and his nose was turning pink, and his breathing was getting shaky.

"Come on," Remus said, pulling Peter and James up. "Let's go look for the trolley lady." He sent a meaningful look at Elana, who returned it.

"Here," she said. "Buy me something."

James sent a sad look at Sirius as they walked out, closing the compartment behind them.

"Sirius..." Elana said. "It's okay to cry."

He looked up at her as he tried to control his breathing. "Boys... Don't... Cry."

She patted his back, "No. Men do." He looked up at her. "Besides, it's healthy as well. Don't keep all that emotion inside you. Here," she said, wrapping him in a hug, "You don't have to worry."

He leaned against her and sniffled.

"So, tell me what's wrong," Elana said softly.

"My mum... Kept treating me... as if I was a disappointment."

"And are you?"

Elana heard his voice hitch.

"... No... But to her, I am..." Elana couldn't tell if he was crying or not. That was a good thing, maybe. His pride wouldn't be hurt either.

She rubbed circles on his back, trying to soothe him.

"Does it matter what they think?"

"I mean... I dunno... They're my family, so it should..."

"You don't think you're a disappointment, do you?"

"No," he laughed. "I'm Sirius Black, I'm perfect."

Elana grinned, ruffling his hair. "Then why does it matter what their opinion is, if what you think about yourself is fact?"

"It doesn't."

"Exactly. Now, about your mum, what do you think is an alternative to dealing with the way she treats you?"

"Running away before she disowns me."

"That's only running away from your fears, Sirius. Did you see earlier? She expected me to wither away. But I didn't. So maybe she didn't like me, but she respected me. You? You have to stay strong, keep your was up and be proud of who you are," she pulled him out of her arms, her hands on his shoulders. "You have to show them that they can't hurt you." She looked into his silver eyes, that showed hurt and sadness, but there was also a fire, lit deep inside it. "You have to show that you won't change to be like them." She pinched his cheek.

"You have to show them who you are."

He looked at her, and through his tear streaked face and his pink nose, he smiled. A genuine, heartfelt smile. Elana returned it, wiping his tears away.

"Don't worry, Sirius. Things will get better, so long as you try."

He pulled her into a deep hug, one that lit a fire in her heart, a proudness that she had genuinely helped someone.

"Thank you."

"Keep your chin up," she smiled, bopping his nose. "And come over, will ya? My dad would love to have a son for a while," she grinned, hugging him. The pretty brunette jumped up, a grin on her face. "I'm going to look for the rest of the boys. You rest, okay? Tears take energy. Here," she said, conjuring a blanket. "Sweet dreams."

In no time at all, the suddenly tired boy fell fast asleep.

~O~