3

It was the next day around ten when I heard a knock on my door. It scared the shit out of me. No one should have come to this office so I wasn't prepared nor paying attention. I quickly stuffed the files away under the desk and put on my fake glasses. I got up to open the door. When I opened the metal door Steve pushed his way through.

"Oh hi," I breathed out taken aback by his forward actions. "How'd you find me?" He held up my ID that I had lost yesterday.

"Stole this from you." He answered with a light smirk.

"You're turning out quite the spy," I said stepping backwards.

He was pushing me back till I was against the desk. He set down the journals I had given him on the desk. He swallowed and looked down at me and said, "We need to talk."

"Yeah, we do." I quickly agreed trying to get ahold of myself. He set his arms on either side of me crowding my space. It was like he had to keep pushing forward or else he'd never get the nerve to do it again.

"I just–after all this time. I need–I–I..." Steve stuttering trying to collect his thoughts. He went silent suddenly and I waited. He stared at me with his big sad blue eyes. He looked like he was trying to get a grip of something. Like he was trying to grasp something that slipped out of his hands.

"What is it?" I whispered, his hand softly tangled itself in my hair. He swallowed looking down at our feet.

"You were dead." He whispered almost to himself. His other hand came around to grip my waist like he couldn't let go.

"Yeah, I was." I didn't really know what to tell him.

"I watched you die," he told me finally looking up at me. And I could see the way his eyes almost got watery how much it tore him apart. I placed a hand on his arm and one on his shoulder. I slid my hand up to cup his jaw, feeling the smooth skin of his cheek.

"I'm not leaving you again. Ever. Okay? You and me we're a team." I promised him, he nodded with a sad smile.

"I'm not going anywhere Steve. I'm right here." I told him, because that's what he needed to hear right then. He pulled me closer to him.

"I'm gonna kiss you now." He breathed out tilting my head up.

"Please do." I answered leaning in. He brought his lips to mine for a searing kiss I was already waiting for. We kissed until our heads were dizzy. I reluctantly pulled away, a smile betrayed my thoughts. He leaned his forehead against mine, one hand rubbing circles on my cheek the other wrapped around me. I didn't know where we were. I still didn't have all of his trust. Was this some hot blooded moment? Was he just acting on what he read in those journals? We were moving too quick. Were we ready?

"What's this all about, Steve?" I asked softly smoothing my thumb on his cheek. I looked him in the eyes, and my heart softened. It ached as it thawed.

"Come home." And those were the only words I have ever wanted to hear. I pressed a light kiss to his lips.

"I can't. You know that."

"You can, it's over. You can rest now." It wasn't over, it was only beginning and I needed him to see that. I ran a hand down his chest feeling the plains of his muscles through his t-shirt. I distanced myself from him, removing my hand and pulling away.

"We can work this out." He promised. Work what out? We weren't anything. I walked behind my desk. I saw the mysterious flash drive stare me down.

"Do you want to help me?" I suddenly offered taking the conversation somewhere else.