Termi the Terminator

My Koreano is the kindest, most generous and most understanding person I ever met. He is the most ethical Korean I know who is the most knowledgeable of good manners and right conduct. Thanks to me and his international travels.

I noticed him weeks prior to our acquaintance. I first saw him on the second floor of the Education Building in the University of Santo Tomas. I was a sophomore majoring in BS Tourism. I was sitting on a bench near the faculty room when I first noticed him. I laughed a little when I saw his school uniform shirt tucked inside his black pants. His belt was so high-waisted. He was wearing what looked like black boxer shoes. Horrible fashion sense in my opinion.

I thought he was a Filipino. His eyes are bigger than most Korean students in our building. His skin was tanned skin like typical Filipino men. He looked older than most students so assumed he was a person who later realized that he needed to get a college degree.

There were two male Korean students in my Theology class. I befriended them because no one talked to them in class or wanted them in group work. Kooseung and Jongwon became my first Korean friends. They borrowed my notes after every class. They photocopied them and returned to me with a candy bar or a bag of chips.

One day during a group project meeting, Kooseung and Jongwon suggested that we do our project at their boarding house.

"Our boarding house has a pool," Jongwon said.

Our group mates got so excited when we heard swimming pool. I had no plans of swimming but going to a house with a pool excited me a lot.

Ten Koreans were living in that big mansion in Little Manila, Quezon City. One of the Koreans was the manager and he hired two Filipina maids to take care of the boarders. Each Korean paid 10,000 pesos monthly for a bed, breakfast, dinner and laundry. In 1995 that amount was a lot of money.

When we arrived at the mansion, we saw the pool right away. A muscular Korean was climbing out of the pool.

"Korean Adam of Eden," my gay group mate said.

We giggled and stared at Adam.

"This is Mr.Lee," Kooseung said.

Mr. Lee was soaking wet. I tried not to look at his abs and biceps but they were so beautifully sculpted. Then I realized he was the man I saw on the second floor near the faculty room who had horrible fashion sense. Mr.Lee bowed to us and left.

The next morning, I saw Mr. Lee in front of my classroom.

"Hello, Mr.Lee. We met yesterday at your boarding house."

"Yes. You are Teri. Kooseung speaks highly of you. He said you are the smartest and the most fluent English-speaking student in your class."

"No. No. I am not the smartest," I said.

It's true I was not the smartest but it's true I was the most fluent in English with an American accent. Thanks to my obsession in watching English dram series and Hollywood films.

At that time Mr.Lee's English was so bad. I barely understood his pronunciation but I managed to decipher what he meant.

"What's your first name, Mr.Lee?"

"Hojin. My name is Lee Hojin. My English name is Termi the Terminator."

"Why Terminator?"

"My friends in the military service said I look like Arnold Terminator. Not the face. The body same."

I smiled nodding. Yes he almost got the same body as Arnold Swarzenegger.