Chapter 6: Lucas

Lucas' POV:

I sat hogged up in my hotel suite unable to decipher anything happening around me; my sanity was challenged immensely.

My mind clouded up with stormy thoughts and I was stuck in the midst unable to reach solace, I was neither drowning nor reaching bay. I was hanging on a thin pole in the centre of my eccentric thoughts.  

It was no longer about her voice sounding off on the phone; it was much bigger than that. 

Why did she manipulate me in this horrendous way? What was she hiding from me? But most importantly, why didn't I confront her? 

A part of me knew that a phone call would never sate my churning confusion and vexation - she would hang up taking the easy was out. Something she seems to do frequently in the past short time span.

I didn't know what to feel any longer, all the things I turned a blind eye to added up to form a massive wave that was surely going to be the end of me when it comes crashing.  

Diana called multiple times. 

But I couldn't answer; each time my eyes fell on her caller ID, I felt my brain split into two - my two insistent sides. A side wanted nothing but to answer and succumb to her comforting words and encouragements; while the other untamed side was ready to lash out on anyone and in my destructively disoriented state I knew I might lash out on her pure unasking self. I never wish to bring about this wrath to Diana - I shouldn't burden her. 

Sardonically, I laughed. 

I abandoned Diana all alone for a pseudo visit - I thought I'd be bursting from the ebullience I would feel and experience with Audrey but it seems that things don't really go as planned. 

The shrill ring of my phone pulled me out of my haggard reverie. 

"Mr. Williams, as requested we changed your flight to Boston, it's now scheduled in 3 hours."

--------------------------------------------- 

I hauled my suitcase off the conveyor belt, with my passport gripped tightly in my other hand conveying the stress I harboured inside. I was finally home. 

A momentary serene feeling enveloped in me even through my torment. I never believed when people spoke akinly about homesickness but experiencing the distance from home; I realised how authentic their words were. 

It was currently 12:26 PM. 

I moved forward with the destination imprinted in my mind, the Erickson Mansion. 

My haywire brain needed to reach nirvana. I needed to know whether I was the only one deceived or everyone else was in this predicament consequently I can plan my next steps.  

Fetching a cab, I settled into the plush seat as my eyes admired the familiarity of my surrounding - everything was just the same since my last visit. 

One which Audrey couldn't be there for since she was 'in Colombia.' 

I didn't know what to feel anymore; a distraught groan of agitation escaped me just as the car skidded to a halt in front of the all too familiar mansion. 

Sweet memories filled my mind as I remembered Audrey and I's childhood; it was spent between this mansion and it's neighbouring one - my home. 

A genuine smile tugged on my lips at the thought of seeing mom, dad and little Daisy, my 10 years old sister in a matter of minutes. However, I needed to finish the Audrey ordeal to reach serenity before mom holds me hostage of her motherly affection.