Chapter 5 | I'm Not a Daycare

Ray

I swung the doors open to see the huge library, with its stained glass and art on the walls.

The school used to be a huge church, then a university, then a school. The original owner, Chloe's great grandpa time 3 or something, had it written that the heir would be her. Her family's ancestors founded the place, so she pretty much inherits the whole city. It's small, thank goodness, but still, she could potentially ruin the world.

But not before I become president and make sure she never became something even close to it.

Anyways, the library part of the building used to be the church part, which explains the stained glass windows and ceiling. The art had religious stuff all over it, which wasn't 'school appropriate', which had to be painted over, but the best artists in the whole school got to paint a mural for next year, usually something they specialize in. Last year, my hero, Stepha Woods, painted a huge bohemian tiger. It's our school mascot and colors. Usually, people write quotes on the wall. She's really good at it, and I absolutely love it. In other words, if they ever tear down the building, I'm buying the wall. The only catch for that one is that the art they do on paper is sent in anonymously, so nobody knows who it is. The art teacher along with previous winners choose from there. The show choir group also chooses a singer to sing the national anthem and the school song, which is pretty cool, when they unveil the art. The winner also gets to be in show choir next year. I'm a pretty good artist and singer, but there's Chloe who's not bad herself at both of them. But, Chloe is a more popular choice, which means that I probably have the worst chance of getting selected. Thankfully, nobody knows who I am in jazz band, and the art is anonymous anyway.

Back to reality, I went to the painting Starla did and paused, hovering over the mouth. "Before I show you this, you have to promise me something." I looked him dead in the eye. "Don't. Tell. A. Soul."

"Ok..." Mason replied. "Not a soul."

"Good." I touched the left tooth, the nose, and put my thumb on an invisible keypad. A door hissed opened and I pulled Mason in. As soon as he entered, the door closed. "Welcome to my base, and my 2nd home." I heard him suck in a breath.

"Holy cannoli." He breathed out.

There was a windy staircase leading to the roof, which was obviously covered in stained glass. The TV was next to the door out, along with a lounge and kitchen on the other side. I kept a few first aid kits under the TV, so I went to go snatch it from there. "Hold on." I grabbed the first thing I felt and came out with the cutest dog in the world.

"Ahhh!" Mason yelled. He looked at him again and started laughing. Then he covered his mouth.

"The walls are soundproof, by the way." I cuddled with the dog on my lap. "This is Poki." Poki was a black and white husky, with unusual green eyes. He leaped onto Mason's lap.

"Awww. Hi there, cutie!" He rubbed his stomach, which made Poki roll over.

"He's been around for awhile." I said as I grabbed the first aid kit and pulled a mirror out. I winced, seeing a big purple bruise on my jawline. From what I could see, 2 bruises covered my side. There was a few on my legs shaped in a shoe like pattern, and some dotting my arms. I set to work, slowly disinfecting and wrapping my bruises, placing a temporary ice pack underneath to decrease the swelling. Mason was too busy playing with Poki to notice me covered in bandages and ice packs. I headed to the kitchen to heat something up. Maybe some hot cocoa.

"You need anything? I'm making hot chocolate" I turned to Mason. I saw his brown eyes flick up to me.

"Sure-" He saw the bandages covering a part of my face. "Oh, gods."

"Percy Jackson fan?" I smiled a bit.

"Yeah... But what happened?" He looked worried. How can I trust someone this quick? He shook his head. "How can you even trust me? We just met. You barely even know me."

"It's not as bad as it seems." I said. Mason raised an eyebrow. "Ok, nevermind, it hurts a lot. And I don't even know why or how I can trust you. I guess you're just the first person who didn't punch me on first sight."

"Or it's that you're madly in love with me."

"Idiot. If anything, you're even uglier than Chloe."

"Who's Chloe?"

"You don't know who she is?" I was surprised. How could he not know who Chloe is? She introduces herself to everyone new. Or fresh bait. That's what she calls it. "The one with blonde hair and blue eyes? She always has twins by her."

"Oh!" Mason perked up "The one who was..." He trailed off.

"Yeah. Her."

"How can they do this to you?" Poki tromped over to me.

"It's part of my routine. I'm used to it. You don't have to pity me." We were silent for a second, only hearing my spoon clinking against the cups. I handed him a cup once I was done stirring. "Come on, we have to go study."

"Study?"

"Well yeah, I'm not a daycare." I went up the stairs. "Hurry up, or I'll kick you out." Mason groaned.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. I'm not backing out of my word. And besides, don't you want to be- don't tell me- a pharmacologist? Wait lemme guess." He started to say something but I cut in. "You probably grew up being like 'hey imma be an astronaut' and learned all the stars in the world with your daddy. Then, you moved, someone got sick, died because they gave them the wrong medicine. So to fix it, you want to make medicine. Did it get it right?"

"How-"

"Don't ask. I don't know." I took his hand. "Now come on. Up we go." 

Hiya! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please let me know what you think and I'll mentally see you next time!

💜Queen💜