Chapter 12 | The Knight in Rusted Armour

Mason

Today was the last day.

The day it will all fall apart. 

The day when I break.

This is when I strike.

This is my move to being a slave.

Ray

After turning in Mason's art, we walked over to the theater or written on the wall, 'theatre'. It was a common joke running through the school. We walked in. 

"I'll be in the audience," Mason whispered into my ear. "I'll be here a few minutes before you go." He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and walked away. I stood backstage, crossing my fingers that-

"OMG, who invited her here?" Whoops, spoke too soon. I turned to see Chloe decked in a super fancy blue dress and way too much makeup for anyone. She was glaring down at me with Tasha and Sabrina at her back. Thankfully, there were too many people here for her to do anything. Her eyes trailed to my outfit. "What a trashy outfit. Hashtag, Trash Girl."

"You must be Dumpster Queen then," I spoke, relishing the break from the pain. "And besides, you have a very lackadaisical outfit." I threw in a big word, hopefully, to throw her off track. 

"Look who's talking." I glanced at my outfit. I was wearing a black hoodie with white words spelling out 'Don't. Even.' I even threw a floral cap on and jeans. 

"Mhm." Just then, I heard a voice. 

"Gather round, everyone!" I knew that voice anywhere. I slowly pushed my way to the front the now large crowd that had gathered. I knew it. There she was, Stepha Woods. "We are holding auditions very soon. We would like to have lined up, Shayla Martina, Annalee Martin, Natalia Rudan, Nikki Talina, Grayson Pollan, and Logan Lucie. We will have other people come soon. Thank you!"

"Hm. Guess that's my cue to leave. Toodles, jerk!" She strutted away in heels that I'm should be illegal. 

***

"- and Chloe!" I heard after zoning out for an hour. A light applause, and then silence. Good.

"Are you crew? Great! Pass out these papers please!" A random teacher handed me a tall stack of papers. 

"Ok then," I spoke to nobody in particular. I passed out a few and realized something was happening. It was still quiet. I decided to go and see what was going on. I was next. I should be there anyway. 

"Oh, I've been bullied since 1st grade, ever since a girl named Ray punched me." 

I stumbled away, almost pulling the curtain down. 

"Oh, how terrible!" Stepha Woods spoke. She wasn't faking it. She actually bought it. 

"I've got bruises everywhere. Oh, her parents though! The father killed the wife." Chloe spoke with fake written all over. "Thankfully, I've got my great friends here to support me."

I should have said that. I thought. This is my story. Of course, I wouldn't go that low. 

"There's Tasha, Sabrina, and my cousin," Tasha and Sabrina were on the piano. But what happened next-

I think this was the biggest hit of all. 

"Mason." I whipped myself around and saw Mason standing there, waving shyly. "Mason has been with me since the beginning. We played pranks and hung out a lot. He's helped me get to where I am today." I almost put my hand to my mouth, but I didn't want to drop the papers. There was a fan that was blowing.That was her plan. I silently sobbed. He was never my friend.