9. S c r e w e d

n i n e : screwed

|screwed : a common text slang for an uncomfortable position or sticky situation that seems impossible to solve or get out of|

One of the funniest things about life is that whenever we are waiting in anticipation for something good to happen, time seems to stretch for eternity. Birthdays, excursions, road trips and all the other good things for that matter take forever to come. But the barbeque parties you absolutely despise? Oh, no. They'll be there in a jiffy!

That being said, the aforementioned Saturday came earlier than I expected. One moment, I was bickering with Daniel about how I didn't want to come and next moment, Mom was shoving me in the bathroom to get ready.

"Tori, it's already thirty six past one and we're supposed to be there by two."

"Mum, it's a party. Not your business meeting that we have to be so punctual."

She gazed at me disapprovingly. "I never compromise with punctuality. I hope you know that, don't you?"

"Oh, I assure you I do." I returned her glare.

Having a mother who's obsessed with punctuality, one would think is a good thing. But believe me when I say that it's far from that. Being on time? Very good. But painfully punctual? Not so much! Especially when both of your parents are like that.

When they were together, we'd actually reach parties, wedding ceremonies, school functions, PTA meetings before anyone else. And then I had to spend hours pretending to listen to their discussions about tardiness and how punctuality is lost in the modern world. Fun, eh?

"Good. Now go get a bath. You are stinking like a skunk!"

"Mom!" I said with mock-offend but went to bathroom anyway. "And why aren't you ready?"

"I take two minutes. You need two hours."

"A girl has needs. You won't understand." I pouted.

"Why would I? I am an alien after all!" She rolled her eyes.

"Not an alien, but an old lady, perhaps?" I winked.

"Old? Me? What does that -- Victoria Crowe, you take that back right now!"

"And what if I don't?" I smirked.

"I'll ground you for two weeks." She gave me a triumphant smile. "Without Netflix and chocolates."

"Jeez, that was a low blow." I pulled out my tongue. "Fine, I take it back. You are not an old lady."

"Better. Much better." She nodded with satisfaction and shooed me, "Now off you go."

"Aye aye Captain."

• • •

At exactly 2:09 we were parking in front of the Craigs' residence which by the way was twice as large as mine. Their house for me held almost as many memories as my own home did, if not more. I had practically spent my entire childhood there for crying out loud. And as much as I hated to admit it, I missed those times.