13. S t o r y

t h i r t e e n : story

|story : a social media feature which allows it users to share new experiences via posting photos or videos which disappear within a day.|

My phone screen read 7:42 PM as I unplugged the charger and placed it inside the drawer. With my phone in hand, I made my way to the dressing mirror one last time as I saw my outfit.

I wore a purple sleeveless top with a black tight fitting​ skirt that reached a little below my mid-thigh. A watch, a silver necklace and a pair of white heels completed my look. Although I looked decent enough, but the skirt was a little shorter than what I am comfortable in. But it would be worth it, if it pisses Jonathan off. I even put on some make up, simply because he'd hate it.

"Mum, I'm ready," I called out as I carefully stepped on the stairs. Let's just say that heels and I don't do well together. But when you have my height, you really gotta wear them more often than you like.

"I'm ready too," my mother said as I saw her sitting on the couch leaning in front of the table which had files and papers sprawled on it.

On her nose sat her reading glasses as she was leaning on the table writing something in a file. She was wearing a plain black full-sleeved dress with silver earrings and black pumps. With her blonde hair tied in a side braid, she looked elegant.

"What are you doing?" I asked sitting next to her.

She looked up. "I just gotta review these records. So, you go ahead and go with Jon and I will -- "

"No. No. No, Mum. I know what you are trying to do. But I -- "

"Tori, Will is coming to pick up these files in ten minutes, I promise I'll be done by then." She said with a sheepish smile. "I'll join you people at the restaurant."

"If it would take ten minutes, then I can go with you." I said crossing my arms and sitting back.

"Hey, Jonathan has been waiting outside for five minutes and yeah I didn't invite him inside. Now, you wipe that smirk off your face." She rolled her eyes.

"That's my mother," I gave her a wink.

"So, just go to the Rodriguez with him. I promise I'll be there before you know it."

"But Mom -- "

"Tori, please? For me?"

I huffed. "Fine." I pouted. "But you owe me."

"Alright. Alright. We'll see about it. Just go, for now."

"Okay," I sighed and got up, stomping all the way to the door.

"Tori?" My mother called out just as I was about to go out.

"Yeah?"

"Be nice, okay?"

"No promises!"

• • •

"Hey." He greeted me as I slipped in the passenger side seat of his Sedan. He was clean shaven and wore a simple business suit. Clearly, he wanted to make an impression. I mentally scoffed.

"Hi," I replied.

"Um, you look nice," he said awkwardly as he turned on the ignition.

"Thanks."

We drove in silence for rest of the ride. Five minutes later we we're pulling over in the parking lot of the restaurant and made our way to the front door.