Throwback #1: Twenty Four Sided Shapes

t h r o w b a c k - o n e

|throwback: a social media trend where users reminisce about events that occured in the past typically by using hashtags|

"You baffle me Daniel Craig," I said dramatically shaking my head before plonking down on his bed.

He was sprawled stomach down on the bed, his elbows supporting his weight as his eyes were glued to whatever he was doing. His ears were stuffed with ear plugs whilst his Walkman played songs at a dangerously high sound level. Upon feeling the mattress dip beside him, he looked up. Pulling out one of the ear plugs, he looked at me expectantly. "What?"

"I said, you baffle me, Daniel," I repeated with an eye-roll.

"Why, thank you, madam," he replied turning back to whatever he was doing.

"God, you are unbelievable!" I screeched in frustration. "You call me over to your house to ignore me? What sort of an insensitive person does that?"

"Oh, come one. I am unbelievable?!? I am nothing but a sweetheart, girl. You were the one who said that your parents would be home late and you didn't want to be home alone. I was just trying to help my friend. It's true what my Dad says, it's impossible to make a woman happy," he said muttering the last part to himself.

I scoffed. Boy, was he so melodramatic. "Believe me, it's pretty easy to make a woman happy. All you gotta do is listen. Anyway, what are you even doing? Except trying to kill me with boredom, anyway."

"Nothing," he replied nonchalantly.

"Seriously? That's the lamest thing I have heard in my thirteen year old existence."

"Viki. Viki. Viki. What would we ever do with you?"

"Maybe, you start by toning down the volume of the music? How come you aren't deaf yet?" I wondered out loud.

He complied, pulling out the other ear plug as well, and placing the Walkman on the night stand.

"Now, let me rephrase my earlier question. What is it that you're doing that requires a straight-edge and a compass?"

"Doodling?" He suggested casually.

I glared at his back trying to burn circles with my non-existent laser vision. If I had a secret superpower, it would be the perfect time for it to resurface. But unfortunately, I was running low on mutant genes, Krypton blood and radioactive spiders, hence I had to oblige and do the humongous task of lifting my head and peering over his shoulder.

"You're drawing circles?" I asked, confusion evident in my voice.

"NO! It's not a circle! I'm trying to draw a twenty four sided shape," he exclaimed covering whatever he had drawn with his palm. "Why are you looking at it like that? Stop looking at my drawing like that, you creep."

"And you need a compass because...?"

"Because all the twenty four sides gotta be equal," he blurted out like it was the most obvious thing in the whole world.

"Right. Of course, it does. Stupid me," I made an elaborate gesture of bashing my head with my fist.

With a sigh he picked up the board and his equipment, dumping them on his study table. He pulled out the chair which scraped lightly against the wooden floor and sat on it. Two minutes later he was immersed in the paper.

I got up from my place on the bed too and moved another chair next to him, "What is it with you and your weird obsession with shapes and numbers, Dan?"