Chapter One

In 1963, two children were getting ready to go to school. One boy who had just moved to Australia and a girl who had been there a year. She had been homeschooled until her mother found a well paying job. The boy's father had gone looking for work as well, and as a result the Scottish family was now living down under.

The school was an old private school, which used to be an all boys school. Since the rules changed in '53, girls and boys were enrolled. The students wore uniforms as did the older schools down the road. The blazers got hot in the summer, and the shorts got chilly at those occasional night gatherings. But girls got flowy skirts that the wind just loved playing with.

The boy stood there at the gate by his brother. Hiding behind him of course, as there was nowhere else the eight year old wanted to go. His brother rubbed his shoulder. "It's okay, it's my first day too. Heck, it's everyone's first day," the ten year old consoled.

"Are they all new students too?" the boy asked into his brother's blazer.

"What?" He removed his face.

"Are they all new here too?"

"Mmm, probably not. Except the kindergarteners."

"I am not playing with those babies!" the boy pouted.

"Calm down, Angus, you don't have to."

"Then who else is there? Everyone else has their own friends."

"Hey don't whine. Whiners don't make friends."

"Maaal..."

"Stop it, Ang!" Malcolm shoved him a little. "You'll just have to find some, we gotta go."

"No." Angus stood there staring down his brother.

"What did you just say to me?"

"No." Malcolm took a step forward.

"You know Mum's not gonna want you sayin' that."

"I don't care!" Angus took a step back despite his words.

"Angus come on we're gonna be late!"

"I wanna go home!" He started walking away from the school.

"Fine! You'll get lost!" Malcolm walked toward the school which made Angus nervous. He didn't know the way home yet, and he felt safer with Malcolm. Of course he'd never admit that.

"Malcolm!" Malcolm kept walking. "Malcolm!" One look back was all he needed. Angus ran to the gate to catch up with his brother.

School children ran inside just as the first bell was ringing. Malcolm dragged Angus inside and stood him by the fourth year classroom. "Here, I'm gonna go to my room now."

"When do we go home?"

"I don't know, when the teachers tell us to."

"I don't know any of these kids."

"So go talk to them."

"Why can't I stay with you?"

"'Cause." Malcolm started walking to his room.

"'Cause why?" Angus stopped him.

"'Cause I'm year six that's why."

"So?"

"So, if I'm in year six and you're in year four we can't hang out together. It's just the rule."

"Why?"

"'Cause it is. Now go to your class, I'll be down the hall." And Angus was left standing there alone.

A girl walked down the empty hallway searching for her class. She found year four close to the entrance and stepped inside. "Yes, may I help you?" an older woman said.

"I just wondered if this was my room," she answered.

"You must be new here. This is year four."

"Okay." With that, the girl sat at an empty desk. The teacher watched her closely.

"What's your name, Miss?"

"Hannah Ruth."

"And are you new here?"

"Yes."

"Well class has started so take out your notebook and a pencil." Hannah did as she was told.

The class worked on their arithmetic until the lunch bell rang. Angus ran out of that room as fast as he could. He had to find Malcolm, ask some more questions. And maybe, just maybe make a friend.