Chapter Seven

Christmas came and passed. Malcolm and Angus had still not received approval for their anticipated party, and they were rather hopeless that they ever would. The good deeds stopped happening and the boys returned to their nuisance personalities. Both of them expressed their feelings differently about their situation as of late. Malcolm would sigh when no one was watching or roll his eyes at command of his siblings. Angus was more direct; getting handsy when someone wouldn't move out of his way or snap at someone if they made a tease or simple eye contact. Yet their individual reactions were still part of the whole grudge: anger and annoyance.

One day Hannah swung by their house. "Aren't you two overreacting?" she asked raising an eyebrow. "I know this isn't fair but you can't hold a grudge against everyone in the house. It's not their fault you two got in a fight."

"We most certainly can hold a grudge," Angus defended. His arms were crossed in an arrogant façade. "Just watch."

"It's gonna get old."

"Besides," Angus continued. "that Johnny bastard needs to watch his mouth."

"It's all my fault," Malcolm mumbled as he sat with his head in his hands. "I shouldn't have swung at him."

"Don't beat yourself up, Mal," Hannah comforted. "You were only defending your brother. Hell, if I heard someone picking on Angus I'd beat the crap outta him too." Angus lifted his head upon hearing his name being called. And complimented.

"You would?" he asked in surprise. Hannah blushed at the question as she realized what she said.

"Of course," she replied rubbing her wrist. "Yeah, I'd do it for both of you." Angus' face fell a little and he nodded and glanced away. A hot breeze burned his skin and he shivered. The three kids had spent the afternoon on the front porch staying out of their families' ways. Hannah's mother lately had been getting after her for hanging around bad influences such as Malcolm and Angus so much. That day the girl told her mother she'd be studying at the library for next year as an excuse to visit their house. Angus had found out through Malcolm about her recent deceptions, and teased her for being a 'problem child'. Her response was immediate denial.

"We still gotta tell everyone it's off," Malcolm mentioned standing up. "Can't have them show up to nothin'."

"But-but Susan is supposed to come, we can't just-"

"Step on a rake, Angus, too bad," Malcolm interrupted. "I won't have the entire school showing up to our house, seein' there's no party and kickin' our asses. Susan or no Susan." Angus would have made a snarky comment if they hadn't been called into the house. With a shared glare, the brothers followed the call, Hannah tagging along.

"Dear, have you seen the sunscreen?"

"Which one?"

"The only one we have..." Rustling filled the closet in search for sunscreen as the three kids filed into the room.

"Mum?" Malcolm called. They flinched as a crash sounded from the far end. "Mum, you okay?"

"Yes Mal, I'm fine. Your father and I were searching for the sunscreen. Have either of you seen it?" the woman asked her sons. A head shake was exchanged before a settled answer.

"No...why do you need it?"

"Your father and I are going away for New Years. We'll be out of town till tomorrow afternoon. Now don't get any ideas, I've called Miss Miller to watch you while we're gone. She should be on her way in an hour." Angus grimaced.

"Miss Killer? Why'd you call her? We can take care of ourselves." Malcolm sharply elbowed his brother.

"He means, why'd you call her if we have a whole house full of siblings to watch us?" Their mother sighed and turned back to her suitcase. Items of all purpose were flung inside as she talked.

"Unfortunately all of your siblings had the same idea as us and went out of town. So, I called a sitter."

"What? Why can everyone else get out and enjoy their holiday?" Angus asked crossing his arms. Their mother turned around imitating his actions.

"First of all, they're old enough. Second, none of them are going around picking fights at school."

"Well, looks like we're goin' without sunscreen," their father announced as he closed up all the dresser drawers. "Too bad too, new bottle and everything."

"Maybe it's not as hot as it feels," the woman replied picking up her luggage. "It'll cool down, it always does."

"So... you and Dad are gonna be gone all night?" Angus asked. "While we're under watch from Killer?" His mother shot him a harsh glance.

"Miss Miller, Angus! That's a horrible name to call her!"

"She earned it," Angus shrugged.

"Doesn't matter, I don't want to hear you call her that again. That goes for all of you, understand?" She received three head nods. One included two crossed fingers hidden behind the owner's back. "Good. Yes we will be gone all night. But you two are still grounded so no funny business and no absoultely NO party." Their mother's rapt attention was temporarily cast on the girl. "Speaking of which, Hannah, maybe you should go home then. I'm not sure if your mother wants you here alone with two boys and a stranger." Hannah nodded her understanding.

"Oh sure, Mrs. Young, I told my mother I'd be at the library later, don't worry about me," Hannah replied with a smile.

"Okay then."

"Alright honey, we'd better get goin', don't wanna run out of parking space."

"Right." Their mother picked up her sunhat in one hand while the other lugged out her suitcase. Angus, while her attention was elsewhere, gave his brother a wicked grin. Malcolm understood his intention and non verbally attempted to dismantle it. "Boys, there's food in the cupboard, drinks in the fridge, and I want you both in bed by ten at the latest. Okay?"

"Oh sure thing, Mum," Angus responded gently pushing his mother out the door. "We're big enough, we can handle it." Mrs. Young stopped walking to kneel down and kiss her son on the cheek. Angus made a face. "Mum!"

"I love you both," she said kissing Malcolm's cheek. He responded with a half smile. "Be good!"

"Bye, Mum!" Malcolm called. With one last wave and a slam of the door, Angus spun around to his mates with a devious grin.