Chapter Ten

"Fuck mathematics!" Angus cried dropping his pencil on his textbook. The algebra stared back at him from the open pages waiting to be solved. Malcolm spun around on the swivel chair with his old paddleball. He gave his brother a laugh.

"That's what I said in that class too." Angus stood from the floor and lay back on his bed. His arms rested behind his head.

"You don't have to worry about it now," he scoffed. "I wish I were fifteen."

"One more year to go, Ang. Then you're free." The younger boy rolled his eyes.

"Until then I've got this shit to deal with. And Mum says I can't go to that school dance coming up unless I score well on the test next week. Which ain't gonna happen." Malcolm stopped spinning.

"What in hell do you want to go to a dance for?" Angus gave him a smirk while Malcolm shook his head. "Unbelievable. After all the shit you went through for her, after all her ignorin' ya', and you still want her? You're impossible. Bet a hundred she says no."

"I'm not askin' her. I'm goin' with Hannah, then I'll just happen to find Susan." Angus smiled at the odious brilliance he conjured up in his head which should have been formulating math problems. Malcolm's jaw dropped at the words he heard.

"What the hell is the matter with you?" he snapped. Angus gave him a look.

"What-"

"Ask Hannah to go with you to a dance just to leave and find some girl who doesn't even like you?"

"Hannah doesn't like me either, I'm not breaking her heart!" Malcolm didn't respond to that. "Susan's older now, maybe she's changed."

"I thought she started dating Johnny." Angus cringed at the sound of his name. After the party three years ago, they both got a couple of hits from him, but not enough to make a scene. He'd pop out when they were separated so they couldn't team up again. He stopped the day he caught Angus and Hannah together in the hall. After seeing Angus get smacked upside the head a few times, Hannah pushed Johnny to the ground and started waling on him. Angus pulled her off and the two boys negotiated a deal. 'You don't continue, we don't tell'. Malcolm was anxious to know what happened when Johnny didn't shove him against the lockers that afternoon. Angus shook his head.

"Naw, they fought last year over some divided attention thing. Never spoke to each other again." Malcolm nodded as he listened.

"So you think you got a chance since they broke up?" Angus smiled.

"I'm sure as hell gonna try." The sound of their mother's voice calling Angus downstairs shook them. "Uh oh."

"Now you're in for it," Malcolm teased. Angus stood from the bed and they both headed downstairs.

Mrs. Young waved a piece of paper in front of her son's face. "Do you know what this is?" she asked. A hint of disappointment laced her tone. Angus casually shrugged. "It's a note from your teacher."

"Which one?"

"Miss Jackson." Malcolm nudged Angus' shoulder.

"She's a babe, huh Ang?" Angus laughed in agreement. Mrs. Young was not amused at her sons' behavior.

"Wonder what such a lady has to say to me so urgently," Angus mused with a grin.

"This isn't a joke Angus. Malcolm, don't encourage him." Malcolm's smile dropped instantly. "This note explains to me why your grade in mathematics is so low. Not paying attention, talking in class, over consumption of chocolate bars..." Angus gave a guilty smile.

"What can I say? They taste good."

"Remember what I told you if you can't pass the test?" He remembered. "That rule still stands."

"Mum, it's too late to bring my grade up, we've already been taught everything. This week is just practice."

"Maybe Malcolm can tutor you," Mrs. Young suggested. The boy in question raised his hand.

"Uh, no he can't. I've already done my time, I ain't doin' anymore." His mother sighed.

"Then you better ask Miss Jackson if there's another student who can tutor you." Angus sighed and stormed back up the stairs. "Don't give me that attitude, Angus!" The door to his room slammed and the school supplies was shoved to one side. He picked up his banjo he had acquired that year and began to pluck it. One of these days he'd get a real guitar. A real guitar to play in a real rock band. Then Susan would love him for sure. Hell, he could get any girl he wanted. The banjo in his hands began to turn into a guitar and his room turned into a stadium. The lights overhead shone down on him making him sweat. The crowd before him cheered, shooting energy in his veins and he ran like crazy around the stage. His guitar pulled him to the left side, then pulled him to the right. Angus simply followed the instrument and played what he felt.

A sudden pop of a string ripped him from his daydream and threw him back into his bedroom. His breath heavy, his mind racing. His eyes scanned his guitar, now returned to a simple banjo. Angus sighed and set it down to fix it.

The next day was Monday. Angus' least favorite day of the week. He sat back in his chair filling his notebook with drawings of his favorite cartoons rather than algebraic equations. He finally got the antlers on Bullwinkle just right when a paper was set in front of his face. It was the homework he turned in the week before. He grimaced; the score wasn't pretty. Miss Jackson also gave him a face. While she was pretty, that face was not one of approval.

Angus closed up his notebooks at the end of class and headed for his teacher's desk. Miss Jackson organized her stack of papers that she had yet to grade. Her eyes glanced up at the fourteen year old boy. His smile was hiding something; a scheme. "Hello, Miss Jackson. Wonderful summer day, isn't it?"

"It's June," she answered dryly as a cold, harsh wind pounded the windows.

"So, nice winter day then. And aren't you lookin' lovely as ever ma'am. You know they say brunettes are the new bombshells."

"What do you need, Mr. Young?" his teacher cut to the chase. Angus leaned against her desk and bat his eyelashes.

"What makes you think I need anything? Of course, a good grade might be nice. But we can discuss that over dinner. My treat?"

"You can't raise a grade by bribery, Mr. Young. But nice try." Miss Jackson stood up to leave when Angus grabbed her hand. He let go as soon as she gave him a warning glance.

"Miss J. please. There has to be some way to raise my grade in here."

"If you paid attention in class to begin with, you wouldn't need it raised." Angus held his arms out.

"What do you expect of me, Miss J.? Let's face it. Algebra ain't my thing."

"It can become your thing with a little extra help."

"Why, you need some?" Angus smiled. His teacher shook her head.

"No, Angus. I meant a tutor." Angus made a face. "Meet up every day after school, could really help."

"A tutor? You're kiddin'."

"There are some excellent students in this class, Angus. Even you can learn a thing or two from them. What do you say?" Angus considered his options. He could deny the extra help, continue to fail, miss the dance and never marry Susan. Or he could accept the fact that he was hopeless in math and face it every day that week. Neither one was favorable. The boy sighed.

"Alright. Who'd you have in mind?" His teacher glanced outside the classroom.

"One minute please." While Miss Jackson stepped outside the classroom, Angus took a look around. He made his way to the chalkboard and started drawing a little devil. "Okay Angus, here she is." Angus set the chalk down to see Hannah by his teacher's side.

"Oh, hey Angus," Hannah smiled. That little gap toothed smile she'd had since they met. Her shoes were immaculate and clean, one knee sock pulled up while the other had rolled down. Her hair was pulled back during school hours so she could concentrate on her work. Guess that made her perfect for the tutoring job. Angus gave a little smile back.

"Wouldn't you know it," he mumbled to himself.