Chapter 3 First Floor Horrors

"Attention Players, welcome to my world.", once the Cloak of Blood started to speak images started to flutter in my head. "No. It can’t be.", I said. "Ryuto is everything okay?", Nobuna asked. "This Cloak of Blood, it sounds like Kayaba Akihiko.", I told her. "No way.", she said. "Just listen.", I said back. The Cloak of Blood continued. "My name is Kayaba Akihiko." "I told you Nobuna.", I said. "Yeah, yeah." "As of this moment I am the sole person who can control this world.", it said. "I’m sure you’ve already noticed that the logout button is missing from the main menu." "Yeah, we pretty much already noticed.", I muttered. "But I can assure you, this is not a defect in the game." "What?!", I thought. "Why would he do this to us?" The Cloak of Blood continued, "I repeat, this is not a defect in the game. It is a feature of Sword Art Online. You cannot log out of SAO yourselves, and no-one from the outside can shut down or remove the NerveGear. Should this be attempted the transmitter inside the NerveGear will emit a powerful microwave, destroying your brain and thus ending your life." "He-he’s kidding right Ryuto?", Nobuna asked sounding afraid. "No Nobuna. I’m afraid he isn’t. He’s right. The transmitters inside the NerveGear do work as microwaves. It could fry our brains in a second.", I said. "Oh, maybe our parents could just unplug it. Right?", Nobuna suggested. "That won’t work either. It has an internal battery remember?" "Oh yeah..", she said. The Cloak of Blood continued, "Unfortunately, several player’s families have ignored this warning, and have attempted to remove the NerveGear. As a result, two hundred and thirteen players are gone forever, from both SAO and the real world. As you can see, news organizations across the world are reporting all of this, including the deaths. Thus, you can assume that the danger of a NerveGear being removed is now minimal. I hope you will relax and attempt to clear the game. But I want you to remember this clearly. There is no longer any method to revive someone within the game. If your HP, (Health Points), drop to zero, your avatar will be forever lost. And simultaneously, the NerveGear will destroy your brain. Meaning if you die in the game you die in real life. There is only one means of escape. To complete the game. You are presently on the lowest floor of SAO, Floor 1. If you make your way through the dungeon and defeat the Floor Boss, you may advance to the next floor. Defeat the final boss on Floor 100, and you will clear the game. Finally I’ve added a present from me to your item storage. Please see for yourselves." I immediately went to the main menu and opened the item storage. I tapped on it and in my hand appeared a mirror. "Huh? Why would he give us a mirror?", I asked. I looked into and saw my avatar. Once I’d seen it I felt a burning sensation and my whole avatar became blinded in blue. Once the sensation had stopped I regained my vision and asked,"Nobuna?! What happened?! Are you okay?", I exclaimed. "I’m fine! I’m fine! Are you okay?" Once my vision wasn’t such a blur I looked at Nobuna. "Nobuna? How come you look like yourself?", I asked. "How come you look yourself Ryuto?", she asked back. "Hold on.. the NerveGear covers your entire head with a extremely high density signaling device. Which means it knows what your head looks like.. but how does it know how our body looks like?", I asked. "The calibrations, Ryuto.", she said, "Remember how it told us to touch all over our body and touch our surroundings?" "Oh yeah.. that’s right.", I said. "Right now", the Cloak of Blood said, "you’re probably wondering "Why? Would Kayaba Akihiko, developer of Sword Art Online and the NerveGear, do all this?" My goal has already been achieved. I created Sword Art Online for one reason. To create this world and intervene in it. And now, it is complete. This ends the tutorial for the official Sword Art Online launch. Good luck, players." Once that was said the Cloak of Blood disappeared into little pixels and disintegrated into the sky and the sky turned to it’s usual tint of light blue. "Nobuna.", I said, "We need to come up with a plan." "Okay Ryuto.", she said with full trust.