3: Living With Legillimens

QUEENIE
When Tina walked in, Queenie was just finishing the dishes. She looked up from her book in time to see her sister walk in and the last plate dry itself and tuck itself into the cabinet.
"Watcha reading?" Tina asked cheerfully. Occamy shell?
"It's a No-maj book," Queenie said, showing her the cover. "Called A Christmas Carol. I know it's not Hanakkah, but it's still really interesting."
"I'm not even asking what it's about," Tina said furtively.
"I know," Queenie said. "And yes, he does."
"Ugh, will you stop that!?" Tina said with exasperation.
"You know I can't help it, Teen,"Queenie said defensively. "You wondered if Newt celebrated Christmas, and I knew, so I told you!"
"Well, thanks, I guess," Tina sighed. She wondered if her sister had always been this annoying. Queenie laughed. Then, Queenie watched as Tina closed her mind, locking all the memories and thoughts away. Dang.
"Last night," Queenie said. "I was able to get into his dreams."
"What? Whose?" Tina said, her mental force field wavering.
"Newt's. It was kind of...sad, really," Queenie admitted, remembering the story of Leta.
"How so?" Tina asked. She wasn't trying to be nosy, she was just curious. Maybe if she knew more about Leta then she would be able to help Newt.
"He doesn't need help, Teen," Queenie said. "He's finding his way. Anyhow, it went like this..." She told Tina the story of how Leta's squid hurt the Raven-crow kid, (she couldn't remember all the details) and how Newt took the blame and was expelled.
"That chivilrous son of a banshee," Tina seethed. She was full of indignant rage, which Queenie didn't find surprising. "He gave up everything for her."
"He didn't graduate school because of her," Queenie interrupted.
"Yes, but still...I don't know Queenie. I feel bad for him, but I can't tell him that or he'd know you told me."
"You don't need to feel bad for him," Queenie said soothingly. "It was a long time ago, and he's healing. I can see it. Anyway, he's found someone else. Someone much better than Leta Lestrange could ever be."
"Oh," Tina said quietly. Queenie caught a glimpse of doubt before she closed her mind again and went to her room. Queenie sighed. If Tina only knew...it was tempting to tell her. She had promised, though, to both of them, and promises have to count for something. If they didn't, would her word mean anything?
Between work and Tina's personal life, Queenie had little room in her mind to think about her own personal life. Mostly she missed Jacob, a wonderful No-maj who it was illegal for her to be with. Why did that have to be that law? The laws in Britain were different, Newt had told her. The British wizards were free to marry no-majs, as long as the no-maj made an unbreakable vow at the wedding never to tell any of their no-maj friends and family.
Everything would be happier if it were like that in America. Queenie would be happier...
"The law is the law, Miss Goldstein," she said, her temper rising, imitating Madam Picquery's voice. She suspected the president would say: "There can be no exceptions, Goldstein. I don't care how amazing he is, how intriguing, how, sweet, caring, or kind. None of that matters!" Queenie was screaming now. "I don't care what he's been through, or that he deserves better! Why should I? He's a no-maj!" She picked up a vase and threw it onto the ground with a crash. Not bothering with the mess, she fell onto the couch and buried her face in her hands, sobbing. Soon she felt Tina's arm around her shoulder, and heard the shards of vase come back together magically.
"Do you miss him?" Tina asked sympathetically. To Queenie, it seemed like a stupid question, but she saw Tina only wanted to help.
"Yeah," she said. "I do. It's just frustrating that we live in the same city and we can't be together...but that's the law, I guess..."
"Maybe we could change the law," Tina said hopefully. "Bring the subject up at MACUSA. You can't be the only one who loves a no-maj."
"That's a stupid idea," Queenie said, drying her eyes, and smiling. "Let's do it."