16: A Visit

QUEENIE
     As soon as she was out of sight of the MACUSA building, Queenie stopped limping and started skipping. The law was passed! This was the best time to pay a little visit to a certain bakery on 5th street.
     She had on her pink coat, and the hat she had to match. The cold January wind nipped at her cheeks and nose as she walked, turning her face a warm pink. Her teeth chattered against flecks of snow falling here and there, and she found herself wishing she had a heavier coat.
    Then she came up to it. Kowalski's bakery. People stampeded in and out, and the warm, inviting smell of the baking pastries inside filled Queenie with a longing, and not a longing for pastries.
   Fighting the urge to run, she walked calmly inside. Jacob was nowhere to be seen quite yet, so she focused on all the delicacies he'd created. Her stomach rumbled as she stared at all the goodies, trying not to drool. Breakfast was wearing off.
   Then, Queenie noticed something. She saw, behind a glass display case, golden brown replicas of Newt's creatures. There was the demiguise, and the occamy, and the erumpent, and the niffler. Some of the creatures she'd had close calls with; others she only saw inside the case. Nonetheless, all the creatures were unforgettable. Apparently they were for Jacob, too. A woman's voice snapped her from her reverie.
"Where do you get your ideas, Mr. Kowalski?" She asked. Jacob stood at the counter, smiling as he handed her her change.
"I don't know," he said affably. "They just come."
     Queenie was ready to run and jump straight over the counter into his arms. She steeled herself. It was going to be a long wait. She would wait for the other customers to leave before she fully restored Jacob's memory. He remembered her; she could tell.
   But the wait wasn't as long as she thought; a blizzard  was coming down outside and soon customers stopped coming in. Queenie got the vague feeling she either looked suspicious, or she looked like it took her thirty to forty-five minutes to choose which donuts she wanted. Jacob walked around the counter as snowflakes built up against the windows.
"Can I help you, ma'am?" He said. He thought that she looked familiar, like...one of the people he saw in his weird flashes of memory.
"Yes, actually," Queenie said, putting her hands in her pockets and gripping her wand. "I can't decide, so tell me-- do you prefer pie or strudel?"
Jacob blinked. "I'm sorry--you look....extremely familiar. I feel like I know you from somewhere..."
"Actually," Queenie said quietly. "You do. Can you stand still? I'm going to restore your memory." She saw no reason in lying to him. He was about to know the truth, anyway, so what was the point?
   Jacob hesitated, but decided to trust her. He nodded and stood still as she brought out her wand, pointed it at his forehead and muttered,"Restituer."
   Jacob's eyes closed, and he would have fell backward if Queenie hadn't caught his wrists and stablized him. Blinking and rubbing his face, he looked slowly up at her. A smile crept across his face.
"Queenie!" He said happily, throwing his arms around her.
"You have no idea how good it is to see you again," Queenie said, embracing him and breathing his scent in deeply. He smelled of warm baked goods and raw flour. "Wanna come eat at my place? I have some things I need to talk to you about. Think we could bring something to-go for dessert?"