006

I am going to church with Paul and Anne this morning. After getting dressed in my Sunday best, I go to my mom's room to check on her. She is very weak.

"Leave your phone on." Helen says. "I don't think she will last until evening."

I nod and I kiss my mom's sweaty forehead. I dismiss myself and I leave with the Lahote's.

"Anne, I have to leave my phone on. Helen is giving mom a few hours." I whisper.

She nods. "I'll tell father Sanders. I'll have him lead is in prayer first thing."

We make it to the church in Port Angeles and Anne goes to speak with the preacher. Paul and I take a seat towards the middle of the chapel. Father Sanders smiles sadly at me as he nods at Anne.

"Alright, I want us to prayer for miss Miranda Jenkins, her mother only has a few more hours to live and then she will be with the Lord." Father sanders announced.

My phone rings during the prayer.

"It's the hospice nurse." I say. "Hello, Helen."

"Your mom just passed ten seconds ago." She tells me.

I close my eyes and I hang the phone up. "She just died."

Father Sanders crouches in front of me and he takes my hands. We bow our heads and he prays directly to and for me.

"I'll be the priest at the funeral, okay?" Father Sanders offers. "Just have Anne tell me when it is."

I nod my head before leaving the church. Paul chases me down and offers to drive me.

"I w-want a ride o-on y-your wolf. I-it's faster." I stutter between sobs.

He sighs before nodding. We go into the trees. He strips before he phases into a huge brown and gray wolf. I climb up on his back. He grabs his clothes in his snot before he takes off towards our homes.

He phases back and he is naked. He gets dressed quickly before saying. He is going to head back to the church. I walk inside and see the people from the funeral home and mom's life insurance here.

"I have a priest." I say wen it comes up. "Father Sanders from Port Angeles."

The man nods and takes out his phone, "I'll call him. Go home and rest for the visitation tomorrow."

I thank the kind man before catching a cab home. I walk inside the empty house, knowing I'll be living with Sam after. He needs to know. I pull my phone out and dial Sam's number.

"Hello?" He answers the phone groggily.

"Sam?" I whimper. "My mom just died."

"I'll be right there." He says before hanging up.

I slide down the wall beside my door and I sob in my hands. Sam barges in and he drops down in front of me, Kim and Paul with him. Sam hugs me instead of the others. He is my legal guardian now.

"When is everything?" Kim asks.

"Her visitation is tomorrow; the funeral the day after." I reply clearly.

She helps me stand and then she hugs me. I sob into my friend's shoulder before Paul interrupts. I burry myself into his warmth and he wraps his broad arms around my small body. His warmth consumes me pretty fast.

"Come on, you can sleep at my house."

"As long as you're in the bed with me, I can't be alone right now." I whisper.

Paul nods and he picks me up. Kim follows us to Paul's house and Sam does too. Sam talks alone with Anne and Kim follows Paul and I up to his room.

"I'm going home." Kim says. "I'll be at the funeral home tomorrow, Miranda. I'll see you them."

Paul climbs in his bed beside me and I wrap myself in his warmth. Paul rubs my back until I fall off to sleep.