Kakashi Hatake 2

Free Talk:

Dedicated to . Thanks for the fan art!

In case you didn't notice, I'm not dead. Hooray for that.

Kakashi and I loved the stars.

I figured it was no big deal. being friends and all. But there was something intimate about watching the stars, you know. Just the two of us wrapped in the absence of human voices.

I mean, sure, we had small talk from time to time, but when I think about it, and I mean really think about it, I find that words could never replace the silence created not from the lack of conversation but the presence of something entirely new.

Is there something between us? Something else that I don't know about? It was something I had been meaning to ask Kakashi about, but I never really found the right time to do so. If it had been any other guy, I would've asked him out immediately. Of course, assuming that Kakashi was like any other guy. But Kakashi was... Kakashi. I have to be careful when it comes to him. There are so many intricate layers to this man, so many intricate layers that despite the years I've poured into our friendship, I've barely scratched the surface. Even to this day, I wonder if our banter is us flirting or him making fun of me. I don't know. After all, he operates differently from the norm. But the question of, "Do you like me?" has always lingered. It was always there, in the back of my mind and in the top of my tongue. I wanted to ask. Badly. But then I remember the intimacy and the silence and the thought that they were ours, ours and ours alone. Then fear rears its ugly head and the courage within me magically disappears.

Despite the fact that the question has practically burned my tongue from the sheer agony of the need to confess, I'm a selfish woman. Being friends with Kakashi is better than being nothing with him at all.

"Iza," Kakashi murmured as I stepped out of my hiding spot, hoping to surprise him for the first time.

I laughed as I stepped away from behind the tree. It wasn't the best hiding spot but I wasn't exactly trying.

Our favorite spot was located near the outskirts of Konoha, on top of a hill that oversaw the forest and the village that is Konoha. And while Konoha's lush green forests were gorgeous in their own right, what really sealed the deal was the spectacular view of the sky. That, and not many people come to our spot in the middle of night. "I swear, you must have another set of eyes at the back of your head." I said with a lopsided grin. I try to imagine Kakashi a few years younger than he is now, coming to this spot and trying to find solace from the nightmares that plague him in his dreams and haunt him in his wake.

Kakashi shrugged. Or at least tried to, what with the fact that he was lying on his back, his arms substituting as pillows. "If I did, it would make things a lot easier. Especially on missions."

The smile slipped from my face as I remembered my earlier conversation with the Hokage. The severity of the situation hits me when I see him look at me, his black eyes glittering dangerously in the dark. Bile rises in my throat as I try to steel myself for what's to come. I try to imagine myself a few years younger than I am now, anger and hatred burning within me as I mourn for the death of a comrade who died for the sake of the village I have never come to love. I come to this spot hoping to find the answers to all my questions but they all boiled down to a boy with silver hair and a broken heart. Then I try to see myself a few years older than I am right now and I see nothing. Nothing at all. "Speaking of missions..."

Kakashi frowned. He sat up. "Another one?" I nodded. I tried not to look at him as he said this. "So soon?"

"This one can't wait." I said as I tossed him the scroll. The same anger and hatred swells up within me and Kakashi notices my distress. But I don't give a damn at this point. "I'll explain more on the way. We need to get going."