Chapter 10: The Gala

Tina's POV:

I headed down the gravel path, leading on to the lodge cabin by the lake. I was going to my rehearsal for tonight's student Gala that was being held here tonight. Nervous was an understatement. Since I began my education at this University, I've always tried to get the point that I'm a singer across bluntly to everyone I meet. It's my passion and my dream, I love to do it. Tonight is a big deal for me, I get to perform to all my classmates and peers, and most importantly, to talent scouts who'll be the guests of honour to attend. Tonight could be it for me, my big break. Finally. 
I could see the lodge infront of me as I continued to stumble down the path in my heels. Poor footwear choice, I know, but I pride myself on always being glamorous. Like tonight, I have my outfit all picked out ready to go. A pink, long, skin tight dress with the back completely cut out and all wavy. It's an amazing dress, and I feel amazing wearing it. Just thinking of it makes me so eager to get inside from the cold and get started. I approach the door, nobody seems to be around from the first look of the surroundings. That is, until I reach the door. I grab the handle, pull to open the door to find somebody on the other side of it. Officer Leeson, waiting for me. 

"Hi." He smiles up at me from his phone as he notices me. He quickly finishes off whatever he was doing on it and puts it away. Shifty. "How's things? I left you a voicemail but I figured you were busy today seeing as you hadn't called me back."

"Yeah, well I've got rehearsals right now." I told him, not sure as to why I was telling him this. I didn't know him that well. "You know about the Gala tonight right?"

He nodded, we began to walk together to my dressing room for the evening. I figured we could chat better, and more privately there. This was all very secretive at the minute. I felt like I was doing all this behind my friends' back, it felt awful. But it had to be done. Once we reached the room marked 'Tina', he stepped inside behind my lead. 

"Is Rose attending tonight?" He asked, taking a seat on the small couch in the centre of the room. "You do know I can be here if you want.. if you have any inkling that something may occur tonight."

"She is coming." I explained. "I don't think anything will happen, she hasn't been acting weird the past few days."

As I began to 'spill the beans' on my best friend, he took out his notebook and began to scribble. 

"I've not heard her whispering to herself the past couple of nights." I told him, referring to the numerous times already that I've heard her moving around in her bedroom and just muttering at all hours of the night. I'm convinced that she's talking to someone, sneaking out to meet someone. But who? That is why Leeson is here, to help me. 

"And it's not sleep talking?" He suggests. "You believe she's having secret communications with somebody."

I nod, that is exactly what I mean but I don't wanna sound crazy by saying it that bluntly to him.
"She seems too interested in that whole thing about The Night Gang." I continued. "She's looking into it every waking moment she has! Even at uni she's started a new research project about it. This is your case, do you think they're real?"
He cleared his throat, huffing at me as if to say it's a ridiculous question. It wasn't ridiculous. I didn't believe that The Night Gang were real, I thought they were just an urban rumour coming back to the surface. But now, I beginning to believe.
Leeson shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not entirely sure Tina. There's evidence to back up either side you wanna view it from."
All this explaining sounded like nonsense to me. He was avoiding the question, I needed to bring out the big guns.
"Leeson!" I shouted. He was frustrating me. "Why can't you just answer my question? Friend to friend now not copper to suspect or whatever the fuck this is!"
"You're my intelligence!" He informed me. "I get my information from you, that's how it works! I can't just go around giving away private investigation leads and evidence!"
"But she's my friend!" He stopped and began to calm down, breathing heavily. "She's my fucking friend and if she's in danger then I need to know what to do! Who are they Leeson, what do they want with Rose?"
He said nothing, just sinisterly closed his notebook and leant back in his seat. I was preparing myself for a whole lot of information about to head my way. Whether I'd like it or not, who knows.