Chapter 8: No time for recovery

Two days had passed since Marinette woke up. Alya was sitting on a chair right next to her bed patiently waiting for her best friend and room mate to wake up. The reporter told her that she had been a sleep for almost a week before she left to call the nurse and her parents.
'Almost a week ' thought Mari as the doctor was describing her injuries.

" You were excepted here with bruised ribs , a concotion and some miner injuries over your arms and legs. " said the doctor in front of the detective who was too deep in thoughts , Alya who was focused on everything the doctor was saying and Mari's parents who were being relived that their daughter was getting better. At the end of his report he closed the folder in his hands and looked at the thinking detective.

" I think it's best if you stay here for a couple of days detective " said the man and pulled the detective out of her thoughts. And by the look on her face Alya immediately knew the words that were going to come out of her friends mouth.
" I can't stay here for a couple of days " objected Mari and Alya bit her lower lip , because she knew Marinette better that anyone , no matter what the doctor was going to tell her she would still want to leave in two days , with a little luck and hours of talking. And why well because Mari was a workaholic. If she was not working on a case right now she would most likely stay at the hospital as much as they told her , but unlikely she had a case. Which ment that there was no power that can keep her away from solving it.

" Miss Dupein. You have a concoction under no circumstances I'm not letting you leave this hospital. You are staying here till you get better. " said the doctor with a serious expression and even more serious tone.

" You don't understand. There is a criminal out there that I have to catch. " said Mari trying to reason with the doctor to let her leave as soon as possible.

" I understand the seriousness of your job detective. I have a lot of respect for people like you who are protecting our city , however even you need time for rest and healing , so you are staying here till I tell that you can leave " said the doctor and exited the room before Marinette could say anything else.
Mari relaxed in her pillow in frustration , while her parents come closer to her saying.

" Mari this is for your own good " said her mother while caressing her cheak with her right hand.
Of course this didn't calm the detective , plus she knew everything that the doctor and now what her parents were telling her , but she just didn't want to understand it , she didn't wanted to except it.

A few minutes later in the room there were only Marinette and Alya. As much as they wanted to stay her parents had to leave to take care of the bakery. They will be back tomorrow afternoon to see their daughter.

In the room was only silence , the only sound that could be heard was coming from the machine next to Mari's bed that was keeping track of her heart beat and Alya's tipping on her computer.

No words were exchanged between the two , but both knew what the other was thinking.

" I know that you don't want to be here , but it's your health. The case could wait a few day or weeks if ... " started Alya , but was rudely interrupted by the detective.

" Weeks , no way " she screamed and tried to stand up from the bed , but the sharp pain that went through her entire body stopped her and made her lay down again.
Alya just watched the scene that unfolded before her eyes with her chin wresting in her palm.

" Mari you can't bearly breath without feeling pain , let alone stand up. So stay on your ass before you continue this case. It's obvious that you are on the track of something big " said Alya and got her friends attention.

" What do you mean ? " she asked her eyes piercing through her friend.

" Do you really think it's a councidence that you got attacked at home after you started digging around the mayor ? " asked Alya narrowing her eyes.

Marinette thought about it for a second and her best friend was right. She was working on this case for maybe around two weeks. It was stupid not to think that there will be no danger or attacks against her.

Yet the last place she expected this to happen was at her home. But as her mind started going over the situation there was something even more smelly about the how thing.

She got attacked after her meeting with the mayor. Alya was right they have putten a target on her back.

" Obviously the mayor doesn't want you to sniff around " said Alya after she got to the same conclusion. Mari looked at her and her roommate saw the all so familliar spark of the detective , spark that got her light from pure determination. But this time was not like not any other , now that spark was shining ten times stronger.

" That will only make me dig even more " said the detective as she clinched her fists so hard that her knuckles got white.

                 4 HOURS LATER

It was around midnight and the detective was sleeping peacefully not being aware that she is being watched.

A young man with blonde hair dressed in black leather was sitting on the window right next to Marinett's bed. The detective convinced her best friend to go home and sleep in a confy bed. There was a police officer in front of the hospital room , but he was standing there like a part of the decoration.

To be honest the young man didn't have a clue why he came. Just a woman that got attacked , nothing new under the sun. Yet he couldn't stopped carrying for her.

The truth is that he came here to protect her , to make sure that she was safe. But there was something else , something that had no explanation for it , at least not yet.
He thought as a small smile appeared on his lips as he watched how Mari slept. Her face was calm not disturbed by anything , her hair was falling gently on the pillow and her shoulders , her chest was going up and down as she was feeling her lunges with air.

' Like a delicate flower ' thought the young man as he continued to watch the detective thinking about his next move. After all it was time to give this beauty a new piece of the puzzle.

" Let's see if you could catch me ? " he said with a smirk on his lips. The game had to continue.