Chapter Thirty-Four: Ex-Girlfriend from Hades

Ex-girlfriend from Hades

“No!” Eros grabbed a hold of Artemis’ hound, turning the bitch away before her snapping teeth could get any closer to Gwen-Stacey’s vulnerable throat. Artemis’ hunting dog was a direct descendant of Cerberus, Hades’ guard dog. Like her sire, the canine possessed the rare ability to make mincemeat out of any soul in the Underworld. Hades was unaware of what she’d done to acquire such an animal, but if he ever found out there would be hell to pay for those involved. 

Artemis was beyond caring at this point – nothing but finding the human mattered.

The goddess of the hunt wore a mask of mild amusement as she watched the love god struggle with her faithful companion. It was funny watching the mama’s boy rolling on the ground as he attempted to keep his pretty face from being turned into ground hamburger. Una was as single-minded as she was vicious. The meddlesome Eros wouldn’t be bothering her for a while.

One problem out of the way, she turned and came face to face with the true object of her hunt. Like every soul in the Underworld, Gwen-Stacey’s mortal essence was as solid here as her original body had been on the earthly plane. The huntress could count on one hand the number of times she’d ever crossed into Hades since the beginning of time and she could honestly say this was the first time she was actually glad for that fact. Her brother accused her of being obsessed with the mortal female because of her rampant, unchecked jealousy. She did not agree with her playboy brother’s superficial assessment. They were twins to be sure, but on certain things they were as different as the ominous night was from the glorious day. 

Such had always been the way of things.

As far as she could remember, men in general held little interest for her – gods, humans, they were all the same. To Artemis males were grunting, lazy, sloppy beings who lashed out like cornered animals whenever they felt threatened by a woman’s self-confidence and natural abilities. Throughout time, plenty of women had come along who were as strong and capable as any man. These females were often targeted – ravaged, murdered or stifled into submission by the opposite sex. It was rare to find a male in any species with the ability to coolly accept a woman’s superiority. For the goddess it was no different. Even she had to deal with men objectifying her or her followers, which pissed her off to no end (and often caused her to strike out with overwhelming force).

The only man she’d ever found worth her time (and knew better than to be such a tool) was Orion. 

A true hunter, Orion was charming, skilled, and never once felt threatened by the goddess’ skill. Though not a romantic love, Orion was the first man she’d shared every manner of innermost secrets with, even beyond what she shared with her brother. Artemis, though a virgin, had not lived without her own erotic encounters, most of them involving nymphs and other young women who worshipped her. It was Orion’s easy acceptance of her nature and burgeoning curiosity that made her wonder if perhaps there were some men in the world who might be worth her time.

It also helped that he was a damn fine huntsman.

It was through her numerous adventures with Orion that she initially met Morpheus. Hunting near the poppy fields that marked the territory of Hypnos, the dream god had emerged from a hidden cavern to hale his friend. Morpheus had only graced her with a respectful nod but had otherwise ignored her completely. For some reason, the dream god’s courteous distance had irked her.

A lot.

It was to Orion Artemis finally confessed her interest in the serious Oneiroi. He was beautiful and mysterious, cloaked in the hidden knowledge of the Underworld and the dream realm. Orion understood – he’d even admitted to having a boyhood crush on the dark god after first meeting him even though it was plain Morpheus was not interested in a relationship…with anyone. Still, Orion did all he could to find ways to bring them all together “accidentally,” since there was nothing he liked more than a good hunt (for it was clear to him Artemis had every intention of bringing down her next prize).