Chapter Eight

I stand in my cell, petrified, and my father squeezes my hand to make me feel less nervous.

"WHO ARE YOU?" The giant creature roars, clearly aware of my presence even in such dim lighting.

"I-I..."

"SPEAK UP!"

After taking a deep breath, I slowly enunciate my name.

"Elliana Montgomery."

I gain a small form of confidence from actually having the ability to communicate with this intimidating specimen.

He lets out a humorless chuckle.

"Another Montgomery. I should've known that there was more of you pests." He emphasizes the last word.

I clear my throat and fix my posture, gaining composure of myself once again. "Why have you forced my father to slave away for you?"

"I have done no such thing! He has chosen to work for me, and for quite a high pay as well."

"But he can no longer handle this madness! He comes home tired and beat. Somedays, he doesn't return at all! We no longer need your payments. Just allow us to leave and you'll never encounter us again." I attempt to reason with him.

He cackles.

"Foolish girl! Your incompetent father is indebted to me. I have given him thirty thousand euro in exchange for thirty thousand days of his labor. To him, that seemed to be sufficient."

After doing calculations, I realize the huge mistake Papa made.

"THAT'S EIGHTY TWO YEARS! HE WILL BE DEAD BEFORE HE GETS OUT OF THIS PRISON!"

It seems like 'le maître' doesn't like the tone I used, since he tries everything he can to keep his calm.

"That is not my problem!" The creature states, reminding me of what the tax collector had said in response to our reaction of our debt increasing.

But similar to the way that papa and I found a solution to our financial issues, we will uncover a solution for this mess we have landed ourselves into.

I resort to pleading at this point.

"Please, I beg of you. Release him from this contract!"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

"Isn't there anything we can do to alter your mindset?"

"No! I refuse to release this inane old man! As a matter of fact, he is no longer allowed to leave. He must remain here until the time is over."
"THAT'S RIDICULOUSLY UNFAIR!" I cry out.
"I am finished with this fatuous argument."

"But--"

"LEAVE AT ONCE OR STAY AND FACE THE CONSEQUENCES!" He screams.

I slide closer to papa and place my forehead on his shoulder. My tears are absorbed by the cotton of his sweater.

"I won't leave you."

"Elliana you cannot stay here! You will not be safe!"

"B-but then I won't get to see you again. That beast is not going to allow you to return home after this!" I explain.

"Sweetheart, I've lived my life. You are young. You should be free. Please promise me that you will go home and follow your dreams."

I cry harder.

In the corner of my eye-- and by the feel of air blown onto me because of his cape-- I notice the creature storming out of the room.

"WAIT!" I call out after him. He stops in his tracks.

I am not sure if I am making the correct decision, but seeing that I am doing this to protect my loved one.

"What is it now?" He growls.

I let out a shaky breath, which, although done quietly, easily catches his attention and leaves me feeling vulnerable.

"I will take his place in return for his freedom."

Without sparing a glance or second thought, he proclaims: "AGREED!" and marches out. I can still hear his powerful voice lingering in the hallway. "Philippe! Retrieve the carriage and take Lorenzo far away from here."

"But I don't even know where he lives." He protests.

"I DON'T CARE WHERE YOU TAKE HIM AS LONG AS HE'S OUT OF SIGHT!"

The door slams shut, echoing throughout the room.

Papa reaches out and grabs my hand. "Don't do this.

I can't bear knowing I've put you in harm's way!"

"Papa, I'll be alright." I say, softly stroking his cheek. "It was my choice, so please do not blame yourself for this."

I spot a tear as it streams down his soot-covered face, and it makes me ache to know that I will likely never see him again.

"I've already lost your mother and I am not going to lose you too! Especially not to some beast." he says.

"I'll try to find a way to escape and get back to you, somehow." I utter, not wanting anyone to know of my intentions. "There must be some way to get out of this castle."

But before I can discuss plans any further, the door bursts open as quickly as it had shut.

The cell door opens and papa is forcibly pulled out by Cortez.

"Sir do not worry. I will take you home, so remain calm." Papa still struggles under the man's grip. "No! I never agreed to this! Please! I'll do anything!" The last thing I hear him say is "Elliana!" Before he is completely dragged out of the room.

Any objections I would've had are now choked in my throat. The door slams shut once again, this time setting me apart from my father for the final time. I stand there for a second until my eyes sting and I sink down onto the grimy stone floor, quietly whimpering.

Time passes by slowly when you're trapped in a lonely cell, just informed that you will no longer see your family for the rest of your life and will spend your days slaving away for a temperamental beast.

It feels like hours, though, before I finally cry myself to sleep, hoping that I can wake up and this will all be over. Just a dream. A figure of my imagination.

I hadn't noticed a certain person watching me through a small crack in the door, with soft blue eyes almost carrying sympathy for me.

________________________

A/N
I truly apologize for taking so long to update! Hopefully this chapter makes up for the wait!
The next chapter should be published on schedule this time.