Prologue

The light that signaled yet another day shone through the slashed silk curtains. It irritated the red eyes of the Beast, causing him to be more contemptuous than usual.

“S-sir, you must control your anger. If you don’t, it’ll only make matters worse.”

The Beast shoved his servant, Philippe, up against the brick wall behind him. “I’VE BEEN STUCK LIKE THIS FOR FIVE YEARS. IT’S SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANYTHING ELSE TO BE WORSE.”  He bellowed.

“How a-about I just go make you your favorite dinner. Maybe it’ll help you calm down.” Philippe said in an obvious attempt to change the subject.

“I AM CALM!” The Beast let out a roar that shook the entire room

“W-well then I’m sorry to have a-accused you of being u-upset. I’ll just be on m-my way now.” Philippe squeaked and retreated to the kitchen. The Beast stormed to the attached balcony. His bulky cape caused dust to blow off the worn antique furniture, resulting in it scattering throughout the room.

Philippe didn’t understand. None of his servants did. He’d been living in hell, and they had pretty much been sitting there pretending everything was fine; like the sun would rise tomorrow and all their troubles would have mysteriously vanished. But he knew better than to waste his time on a lost cause.

Birds took off for the skies as he tromped towards the railings of the platform, grumbling under his breath. He crossed his arms, planting them on the cold metal as he stared out into the distance.

Nothing is ever going to change. He thought.

I'll always be a monster…