Chapter 1: Back Home Things Have...Changed

--Nicky’s POV--

The plane landed safely home, I got off the aircraft, and went into check-in at the airport. Then, I went to pick up my bag, and met my dad at the entrance waiting for me.

“Nicky! Honey, I haven’t seen you in a year, you look so beautiful.” Dad said.

“Thanks, dad. You look good too.” I said.

He grabbed my bag, and carried it, while his other arm was around my shoulders.

“So, tell me. What did I miss in my daughter’s life?”

“Well…”

What to say? A lot of things happened on the past year. Meeting Justin, having to babysit two of the coolest kids in the WHOLE world, meeting a slut, becoming the girlfriend of the boy that I hated, becoming a maid for like 2 or 3 days, having my first time with the guy I love, and living a love story for a whole year, just what every girl dreams of. “…a lot of things happened…”

“Like…?”

“A lot. It’s hard to explain.”

“…You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

“I do, it's just so much to say. Anyway, what have YOU been doing for the past year?”

“Me? Well… I got engaged.”

I stopped in my tracks.

"What?”

“Honey, your mom died just a few years ago, you cannot expect me to live my life alone forever. So, I moved on.”

“…But… she died two years ago!"

“Oh, come on. Hey, when James broke up with you, you got over it in 2 months. Can’t you do the same about your mom?”

“…Dad, it’s different. That was a boy; this was my mom! You can’t replace her!”

“It’s done, we’re marrying in 6 months. Say hello to your new mom…”

Just then, a woman that was nice-looking for 47 came to us. She seemed good-looking for her age.

“Nicky, this is Cecilia; Cecilia, this is my daughter, Nicolette; or Nicky.” My dad introduced us, as we walked to the car.

“Hello, Nicolette. How are you?” Cecilia said.

"Good, how are you?” I said.

“…I’m marvelous.” She said.

Dad put my stuff in the car, we all got in the car and we were on our way home.

On the ride, we started talking about memories when I was a kid.

“Oh, honey, we need to go pick-up Paola.” Cecilia said.

“Who’s Paola?” I asked.

“My daughter, she’s my youngest one. The other one, the oldest, is a total success. I don’t know if you know her, but I think you do. When you see her, you know that she’s a star born to shine! I love her.”

“What’s her name?”

“…Oh, that doesn’t matter. You’ll meet her soon. Her plane from L.A. lands tonight, so, she’s meeting us for dinner.”

“Oh, she was in L.A.? Just like me.”

“…Yeah, but unlike you, she was working. Not going to go and waste time.”

“I wasn’t--"

“Nicky, you’re starting school tomorrow, honey.”

“I am? So, I'm starting in the middle of the year?”

“Well, the school gave you a year off because of your grades and you were advanced in most of your classes, but sweetheart, you have to get back to education. Besides, you're pretty close to being one of the few in your grade of getting their applications accepted."

“That's awesome.”

“Wait, what did you wanted to study?"

"Interior design."

"Oh, honey. You wanted to decorate houses to earn enough money to be able to live a celebrity life? Why try? When you know that you'll never reach my daughter's level.”

“…You know, you’re making your daughter sound SO special…” and it’s annoying me… “…I would really like to get to know her soon.”

“You’ll love her, everyone does. Nobody can say ‘no’ to that face.”

“Oh.”

We stopped at a huge house, and a girl came out just wearing shorts and a t-shirt. She stepped out into the sun, and another girl wearing jeans and a tank top with a hoodie on top, came out. She hugged the other girl, and went inside our car.

“Hey mom, hey Chris…Hi, uh… whoever you are.” The girl said. She gave a fake smile.

She had resemblance to someone, but I couldn’t figure out who that person was.

“Well, Paola, this will be your new sister; Nicky.” My dad said.

Paola’s fake-smile turned into the real frown behind it. Definitely resemblance to someone…but, who?

“Oh, hi.” Paola said, unenthusiastic.

"…Hi…” I said.

“Mom, when will my sister arrive?”

“Like at 6 or 7… something like that.” Cecilia said.

“Oh, okay…I can't wait!”

We got home, and I got to my usual room. When I got there, most of my stuff was gone.

“Dad, what happened here?” I asked my dad, really surprised of the major change that happened in my room. 

Or should I say, old room.

“Well, your soon-to-be-step-sister decided that she wanted this room for herself. So, now you’re sleeping in the guest room.” He simply said.

I cannot believe my dad let this stranger take over my room. You left to babysit some kids for a year and when you come home, all your stuff is gone.

I seriously want to meet this new step-sister, because I’m showing her a piece of my mind and--

“Hello, FAMILY!” A girl's voice said.

I looked down the staircase, and saw my very worst nightmare coming true. This cannot be happening.

“Nicky, come here! I want you to meet your soon-to-be-step-sister!” My dad said.

I went downstairs, and came face-to-face, once again, with the she-devil.