Chapter 3

I was standing in a single, dark room with nothing inside.

       How did I get in here?

       Then, all of a sudden, my mother, in a hospital bed shows up in my vision.

        Mom?

        She looked extremely pale and tired. My father showed up next to her bed, crying. I heard a loud, consistent beep coming from the machine next to her.

       No, Mom come back! Please don't die! I'm begging you!

       I screamed and cried, but no matter what I did, she wouldn't wake up. My father let go of her hand as the doctors came in to try and save her, but I know she wouldn't come back. My vision changed.

      My ex was standing in front of me with whom used to be my best friend, hugging each other.

     "You could never be as cute as her. Why do you even bother trying," my ex said while putting his face in her hair.

      "Are you jealous that I was able to win him over and you couldn't? You should be. After all, you weren't good enough anyway. You should just give up, since you can't even be happy for us," my friend said as she hugged my ex tightly.

      I couldn't move or speak. Something was keeping me from making any movement whatsoever. I struggled to move while watching the both of them walk away, holding hands.

     It's not that I'm jealous. You never told me you cared about him. You went behind my back. You don't know how much that hurt me!

      My vision changed once again.

      I was looking at myself in a rundown, dirty apartment. I looked extremely tired while counting the dollar bills on a little table. Abruptly, a drunk man came into the room. I looked up in fear at the man that came into the room. Then, as quickly as he walked into the room, he came up to me and started beating me over and over again until I was a bloody mess on the floor.

     Stop it. I never wanted this. Why are you doing this to me?

     After I watched myself get beat to a pulp, I fell on my knees and my vision went black.

     I woke up to the sound of my alarm beeping, my covers disheveled, and my pajamas sticking to me with sweat.

    Not again. How many times have I had that nightmare?

    Ever since then, I've constantly had the same nightmare over and over again. It's the most annoying thing, having a nightmare going through your mind every night. After I got out of bed, I looked at the time on my alarm clock. It was four-twenty three in the morning.

     Good, I have enough time to take a shower before classes start.

     I stripped off all of my sweaty clothes, walked to the shower and turned on the warm water to wash away the bitter nightmare before school.

     After we found out my mother had a tumor growing behind her eye, there were a lot of procedures that they recommended, and they were all extremely expensive. We weren't rich, but we had just enough to be able to afford one of the procedures. When we were able to pay for the surgery right away. Then, something happened. There was an accident. The surgeon was sick and delirious and ended up giving my mother an infection in her eye as well. It was the only procedure we were able to afford and they screwed it up by making my mother lose her eye and get an infection in it. So, my father has been working non-stop trying to get the money for another surgery. Along with my father working, my parents had to stop paying for my tuition, and to not visit my sister in the UK for a long time. My older sister was lucky to get a scholarship to go to a university there to become a journalist. I on the other hand had to give up going to a university and was transferred to a small academy. To try and not burden my parents, I was hired for a job by the cutesy shop, Meyadiela(that's the owner of the company's last name), and rented an apartment a little far from home. It was difficult, but I've been able to manage on my own so far. For that moment, I just needed to work on getting my degree, getting grants, and being accepted into a great university to become a writer.