Chapter 1

I was about to fall to my knees in shock. How did things end up like this?

      "I'm sorry, but you just aren't good enough for me."

       You looked at your soon-to-be ex in confusion.

        "What do you mean I'm not good enough?"

        "The thing is, I like cute girls. You are...," he scratched the back of his neck nervously.

        "I'm WHAT?!"I said angrily as I clenched my fists.

        "You aren't cute....at all."

         I was shocked.

         I'm not cute? That was the reason why?!

         I just stood there, furious, looking at my feet, on the verge of tears.

        "Look, I have to get to class. I'm sorry," he said as he left my apartment.

          All I could do at that moment was collapse to my knees and cry.

-5 months later-

         "Welcome to our store!" I said cheerfully, waiting by the door of the little girly shop I was working at. After I was dumped by my ex, I wanted to become cuter. Not to get him back, but I felt like I was missing something. I noticed that I never really focused on myself, but devoted myself to others even though there are some that don't deserve it. That includes my appearance and health. So, I thought if I surrounded myself with cute things by working in this girly store, I'd feel a little better.

          The store was made for cute girls. Everything was fluffy, frilly, pastel, and undoubtedly cute. They went overboard with the decorations, but the people here are very kind and have taught me a lot.

           "[Y/n], your shift is over right? You can go home. I'll take over." my friend and co-worker Chikako Kiyoshi said as she tied the bow in the back of her uniform. Chikako Kiyoshi was a cute, gorgeous, mature, twenty five year old woman. Sometimes she'll act like a child in front of the customers to advertise, but to her friends, family, and co-workers, she's a kind, gentle, patient mother. Recently, she's been teaching me how to cook and sew. I don't know how that entails being cute, but they have helped me when relating with our customers and co-workers. When she was getting to know me, she insisted that I bettered my cooking and sewing skills. After all that she's taught me, I've felt indebted to her. She's become my guide and my best friend.

           "Are you sure you don't need any more help? There are very few people working. I don't mind staying a little longer until someone else comes."

           "It's okay. There are very few customers and I can manage on my own. You go home and rest. Don't you have classes tomorrow?"

           I couldn't argue with her on that. I have to admit, I was tired. I stayed up late last night writing, so I should get at least more than five hours of sleep tonight.

          "Okay."

          "That's a good girl. Don't forget to lock the back door when you leave. The last time Ayame left the door open, an alley cat came in and chewed up one of our rabbit displays."

           "Understood."

           I went to the changing room which was just as cutesy and girly as the main room. I went over to my pastel locker and opened it. In my locker, I have a photo of my family, a hanger for my uniform, my pleather messenger bag, and my pile of unfolded clothes at the bottom of my locker floor.

          I've got to break out of that habit.

         I took out my clothes and changed back into my everyday attire: A red V-neck T-shirt, a black lace choker, skinny jeans, a pleather jacket, and dark brown combat boots. It wasn't cute, but it was comfortable and to be honest, all that I had.

         I put my uniform back on it's pink hanger. It was a fluffy dress with several layers of petticoats. It came with a pair of bow stockings, Mary Jane Doc Marten shoes, and a bow headband. It was the only cute thing I had unfortunately.

        I put them all back in my locker to be used the next day. I headed outside and walked home.