Epilogue

This chapter is pretty long.

L I A M

After a few weeks at the hospital we could finally go home. The first time I had gotten to hold Luca I cried. I was overwhelmed with emotions. I was so worried he wasn't going to make it but as I held him and his undeveloped grey eyes looked around I knew he was going to make it, I was going to take him home to the beautifully decorated nursery.

I kissed his forehead and Enzo held me as I happily cried. Then I passed our fragile baby boy to Enzo and he held him like he was the most precious thing in the world, and he was. 

I had never seen that look on Enzo's face before. As he held Luca he looked as if he could cry. Luca's small mouth formed an o as he let out the cutest yawn. I laughed and rested my head on Enzo's shoulder.

"He's so cute." Enzo whispered, his finger brushing our little ones cheek.

We stayed like that for a while before we put him back to bed after a diaper change.

Now we were home and I was making a bottle for Luca as Enzo pulled him out of his bouncer.

After the bottle was made I walked into the living room, Enzo had just gotten Luca out of the bouncer and was holding him on the couch. I handed him the bottle and sank down in the couch beside him. 

I was tired, I hadn't been sleeping very well, and it wasn't because Luca woke me up in the middle of the night, I was just constantly worried about him so it was hard for me to go to sleep. I'd jump out of bed the second I heard him cry, just to make sure everything was okay.

Sometimes, on those rare occasions when I do get some sleep and I wake up to a cry, Enzo is good about getting up to check on him when I'm just too tired to.

"You should take a nap, love. I'll watch Luca, he'll probably fall asleep soon anyway.

So I did, I took a nap on the couch and woke up with Enzo asleep right beside me, Luca asleep on his chest.

I smiled at the sight and gently pulled Enzo's phone out of his pocket and quietly took a picture.

I smiled at the picture and when I looked back over at Enzo he was waking up.

He noticed Luca sleeping and carefully rubbed his eyes and yawned.

He looked at me and saw his phone in my hands, "What are you doing?" He asked, a hint of a smile on his face.

"You two looked so cute." I said and showed him the picture.

He smiled and carefully put his phone back in his pocket.

One Year Old

Luca was on the living room floor, pushing around a few of his toy cars while Enzo invited in his my parents, Osvaldo and Niccolo. Oliver was laying down on the rug beside him, watching over him.

It would be the second time my parents got to see Luca. Osvaldo and Niccolo had him a week earlier. It was the first time I had let him stay with someone else and it was the hardest thing. As much as I really wanted a break, I didn't like my baby boy not being there.

My parents smiled at Luca and hugged me then picked up Luca, who didn't seem to mind my mothers kisses and hugs as he smiled and giggled.

Then my mom passed him to Osvaldo who smiled down at his grandson who had grown to favor him over Niccolo.

We went to the dinning room to eat lunch, my parents sat beside me, across from Osvaldo and Niccolo and Luca sat in his high chair between Enzo and I.