Mary Anne

Mary Anne at age 10

"What's your name ?" I ask the man standing beside me.

It was a foggy, freezing night at uncle Will's party. I was terrified of him. He, like most of my family, was always under the influence and inappropriate.

"Would you like to know ?" The stranger muttered.

He was on the balcony all night. I can't believe no one saw him or asked him to enter the heated house, those heartless people.

"I really would, sir, "I answered the stranger. "this party is terrible. "

The man chuckled lightly and turned to face me. By merely studying his shadowy face, I understood that he was probably not invited to uncle Will's party at such a young age.

He had dark blue icy odd eyes; they were the rare type of blue that scientists would kill to see at least once in their lifetime. They looked like gems, and the iris was a little too dark, a little too small, a bit too oval. His face appeared pale, so pale that it was almost inhuman, yet it glowed in the darkness. It consumed the darkness as if he was part of it yet stood out. His hair could not be seen in the night, which made me think it was maybe pitch-black. His lips were plump and kind of light pink. The stranger had a beautiful long straight nose that was slightly crooked and look like he's spent his life making it perfect He looked unfriendly, like he was about to kill me.

I should have run when I saw the large knife painted with blood on the floor, in front of his feet.

Maybe scream.

But I didn't.

In his eyes, I saw a hint of sadness,

Loneliness.

Regret

And that's how it all began.