Tip #6: Appeal to Those in Power

The election has been going on for a long, painful month and it feels like it will never end. I've been up to my neck in campaign planning and poster making that even my dreams are haunted by attack ads and glitter glue. I wake up everyday with the stress of keeping up my reputation, of maintaining face. It's taking a clear toll on me, but in my family, I've been taught to grin and bear it until it kills me.

It's Monday and I'm standing in the kitchen, dressed in my school uniform and going over my new campaign posters with another sharpie; the bold black font standing out on the white poster, spelling out my platform for everyone to see. I sip on my now cold coffee as Mr. Edwards comes into the room, typing on his phone. He looks up for a second and gives me an approving nod before walking over to the coffee pot. He simultaneously pours a cup of coffee and finishes his message as I tuck a piece of hair apprehensively behind my ear. Riley and I had stayed up until almost three in the morning perfecting my poster. It looks good, but I won't know if it's enough until it's on the wall for everyone to see. Every day is another battle in the Parker household...

I check the clock and grab my bag, quickly running out the door without saying a word to anyone. I slip into the front seat of my car and set my posters on the seat next to me. I pull out of my circular driveway and speed towards school. I find Riley in front of the school, frantically tapping his watch as I pull into a parking space.

"May, all the prime spots will be taken if we don't act now." Riley says as he grabs the posters from my passenger's seat. I lock the doors and follow him inside. I see Trip and his group hanging up posters near the vending machines, chuckling and throwing balls of tape at each other as if they don't have a care in the world. I roll my eyes and continue my trek down the hallway, taking down my old posters and hanging up the fresh ones. Riley and I make our way around the entire school and end up in the journalism room as the bell rings. I grab a bag of candy and walk towards my AP English class, handing out candy to all the people rushing by me to get to class on time.

~~~~~

The day goes on, each class passing by in a blur as I focus on the long campaign road ahead of me. I've handed out all the candy in my campaign headquarters and talked with as many people as I could manage, spreading my message throughout the various social groups. I pay special attention to the groups that Trip fails to reach with his charms, making sure that they know they have a voice.

I hike my bag up on my shoulder and walk down the hallway to the journalism room, greeting my constituents while thinking about my next move to gain the upper hand. I cross the threshold into the journalism room, closing the door behind me as I enter the almost sacred space of my campaign headquarters. Riley is talking to some of the journalism students who are writing editorials about all my good deeds in order to cast me in a good light. He catches sight of me and consults his clipboard, checking for what needs more preparation before the next round.

"Hey May, so the results of the poll came in." Riley says as he sits down at a computer, prompting me to do the same. "I cross referenced the results with the votes you received and broke down who came from what groups. Most of your support came from the artists and the intellectuals." He explains, showing me a color-coded pie chart of the voting results. "You also are winning in the unaffiliated category which is a good sign because they usually decide the election."

"So, what's the bad news?" I ask, waiting expectantly for his answer.

"You're under-performing in the populars' category. Trip owns more than 75 percent of that category while you own about 15 percent. The remaining ten went to other candidates." Riley says, highlighting the pink section, showing me the small portion of my results that came from the popular kids. "They could mean the difference between winning and coming in second to Trip."

"They're only voting for him because they're friends. His campaign has no substance, no platform, no direction. The school will go to hell in a hand basket if he wins." I mutter indignantly as I stare at the pie chart.

"I know that, the intellectuals know that, the artists know that, but we're not the people that need to be convinced. The popular voters can't see past the outskirts of their little bubble. It's your job, May, to convince them that you're the better choice. It's your job to make them believe Trip will be detrimental; you have to focus your energy on them, not the people who are already convinced." Riley says, leaning back in his chair.

"So, I have to appeal to the popular crowd?" I ask, fearing the answer I already know is coming. Riley nods, not saying another word. "You realize I've spent my entire high school career avoiding them, right?"

"May, you can't win the election if you avoid the group that occupies the highest social status in the school. Avoiding them could trickle down into your other votes; it would make you seem exclusive rather than inclusive."

"So, this is the only way?" I sigh, my eyebrows kitting together as I look at the pie chart once again.

"It would seem so." Riley says, patting my shoulder. "If you can convince the wannabes or a scorned ex-girlfriend, you could have a chance to flip the popular group's vote."

"I guess it's time for a rally." I say, the gears of my mind whirring as I contemplate the impending doom of hosting a rally.

"The sooner the better." Riley agrees as he logs off the computer.

I'm in for a long campaign season...