Tip #14: Sometimes You Get What You Give

Just keep your head up. I think as I walk towards the cafeteria, praying Riley will be waiting outside for me like he promised. It's Friday, the day before homecoming, and the news of my cruel break-up with Trip has made its way around the school. The minute I walked through the doors this morning, I could feel the sharp, judgmental looks of all the Trip supporters and even some of my own supporters. Apparently, breaking up with Trip had consequences across the board. Not only did I lose my new supporters in the wannabe camp, but I also ended up looking back-handed and smarmy to the people whose votes were already mine for the taking.

A few girls turn up their noses as they pass me, their hushed whispers indicating that they're talking about me. I sigh and find Riley, along with Anna and Genevieve, right outside the cafeteria like they promised. Riley holds out a paper bag and a steaming paper cup from a donut shop uptown. I give him a weak smile and accept the gifts. I take a sip of the coffee and lean against the wall.

"I knew I'd lose some support for what I did, but I didn't think I'd lose all my support." I laugh mirthlessly, taking a bite of the glazed donut.

"I'm sorry I got you into the whole Trip mess." Riley apologizes, his eyes full of regret. "I'm the one who thought it would be a good idea and now you have to accept all the back lash for it."

"I agreed to the plan; it's just as much your fault as mine." I sigh, watching all the passerby who are ignoring me. My how the tables have turned.

"I'd say this whole thing will blow over, but I don't think that's what you want to hear right now." Riley's voice trails off, his eyes distracted by the neatly tied laces on his shoes.

"I don't want to be lied to just to make myself feel better; I'm getting what I deserve. I chose to play him; I chose to do that without thinking of how I'd appear to the public if it ever got out. I cared more about winning than winning properly. I don't deserve the election and I'll bear this public shame with the same grace I always have." I reply diplomatically, praying it sounds more convincing to them than it does to me. Riley nods, not sure of what else to say. I got myself into this mess and by gosh, I'm going to carry myself out of it.

"Why are we standing out here like we've already lost?" Genevieve says, breaking the silence of the hallway. "What did Trip do after we released to the public that he was a womanizing pig? He got off his ass and turned our attack into something he could use. All those people out there faulting you have conveniently forgotten who's heart you broke. You didn't break the heart of some perfect angel; you broke Trip McCan's heart."

"The wannabes are faulting me because I know longer represent a threshold for them to get in with the popular group and my supporters are faulting me for the reasons I started dating him. To my supporters, I'm no better than him; I'm just as sleezey and backhanded." I reply sadly, biting my lip. "I was a candidate for the people, for all people and now I look like I was just using them to win. I don't blame them for not trusting me."

"May, don't be so hard on yourself; you've put way too much pressure on yourself to be the perfect candidate that you've forgotten the point of this whole thing: giving a voice to the voiceless. If you give up, then all those issues you've brought to the light will be lost again. All those people you promised to advocate for will be brushed aside. Forget the plan, forget what happened with Trip, forget all the angry glares, you're still the only candidate with ideas, with a purpose. Trip has none of that; you can't let him do this to you." Genevieve pleads.

She's right; I shouldn't let this one scandal define my entire campaign. I shouldn't let one scandal decide my future or decide who I interact with or where I eat my lunch. My entire campaign wasn't based around Trip. Maybe dating him did make him an integral part of it, but it wasn't why I decided to do the election. Even my parent's pressure wasn't the main reason I entered. I did the race because I was tired of certain people being looked down upon. I was tired of the elite at the school defining what and who was important. I did it because I believe that everyone deserves a voice in what happens at Mount Forrest Academy. I didn't do it, so I could turn into every politician I hated; I did it because something needed to change.