to mitchell; i'm sorry

time never forgets

time never forgets the day you arrived, fresh faced, young, ready to learn. you had no idea.

the day i came, the day you showed me where the big toilets were, the day mrs hall told me to hang onto you.

the day you showed me how to play pokèmon. the day you gave me one of your cards.

the days and days and days we hardly spoke. the days and days and days you were away sick.

the day you told us.

the days and days and days you spent in the hospital.
the days you still came to school with a smile on your sunken face and a drip in your nose.

the days you tried your hardest when your illness was trying harder.
the days you'd spend not speaking, hugging, holding, loving the people you held dear.

the days you'd be flooded with cards, always one from me with a pikachu colouring in taped to the back.

the day we played that song for you and josh cried, he missed you before you were gone and i never liked josh but god i loved him in that moment.

the day we made those cupcakes for you, the day abby smushed it into my face on purpose because we thought you'd find it funny. even though you were in the hospital, possibly even unaware that we'd all come together like this.

the day you drove past the oval fence in your clean, tinted car. the honest, adorable, oh-so-mitchell smile spread all over your face like butter on toast.

the day they took you off meds.

the day you had that meal you'd always loved. a chicken schnitzel, you weirdo.

the day you recorded that god damn heart breaking video.

the day we made that 500 cuff long chain with messages you'd run out of time to read.

the day high school had seemed to pass in a blur, the day i didn't even realise how long it'd been until we heard.

the day you lay peacefully in that bed with pokemon sheets and closed your eyes and drifted away from the world.

the day i came to school and cried and i screamed while she held me. why didn't i pray for him, why didn't i pray?

the day they let the balloons go and i said goodbye in a message i never thought i'd write.

the day the itchy formal uniform felt like a prison as you lay peacefully in your pokemon casket, as jordan said what we all wanted to say, as you watched on from what i could only think was heaven.

because time never forgets.

time never forgets your blue eyes and sandy white hair, your bony elbows, your dorky laugh, that falling apart book you'd carry everywhere, the way your skin would bruise at the slightest touch.

time never forgets your beautiful, beautiful smile.

time never forgets.
and hopefully, neither do i.