Underneath It

I sat in the front row of the class. It was packed. I was trying to listen and take notes, but the class was so loud. Paper was being thrown, people talked over each other, and music was bumping from earphones.

I hated this class, it was always rowdy. I hardly talked in class because I was so shy. I was pretty good in Algerbra, so I never raised my hands to ask questions.

"Attention class! We will have a test on Chapter 7, Friday. Be sure to study your notes." Ms.Davis spoke softly.

No one was paying attention to her.

"Aye you got me Friday?" Shereka asked.

"With the test?"

"Yea." She said looking directly at me expecting an immediate answer.

"Umm... yea."

She looked back at her phone, dismissing me after I agreed.

She didn't even thank me. She ain't even gonna pass this class, she already took it twice. Why she wanna cheat off of me? I thought to myself.

Shereka is 18 in the tenth grade. She is lighter complected with bad acne crooked teeth. Shereka is well known for being a hoe, and would fight anybody who said something about it. She never really talked to me until it was test time. I hated the fact that I always let her cheat off of me, but I never say anything because she's 'Shereka'. I didn't want to get my ass whooped.

A paper ball hit the back of my arm and I looked back

"That was that nigga." Jerry said laughing, pointing to ugly ass Keem.

I looked at Keem.

"My bad." He said and turned around to the person behind him.

I sat next to the garbage can, so people would often shoot paper balls by me. I wanted this class to be over, and I could go to my last class of the day; which was P.E.

I had P.E. with my best friend Monica, well my only friend.

I took a few more notes and the bell rung. I waited for everyone to exit the class and I followed behind. I would walk through the packed halls and go straight to class, never needing to stop by a locker because I carried all of my books in my backpack. Everyone who was anyone would normally be standing around talking. I walked past the small groups of people and went to class. Since I had gym 7th period, my class had to share the gym with the boys basketball team.

I walked into the gym and the basketball team was running drills. I sat in the bleachers and watched. I saw Monica walk in, and a he made her way towards me before sitting down.

"I really don't feel like stretching." I complained, tying my gym shoe laces tight

Monica laughed at my routined complaining. "Well, just be glad that school is almost over." 

"Whatever." Grabbing my gym bag, I lead the way.

Monica and I walked to the locker room and put on our gym clothes, then walked back into the gym.

"Alright Alright, start stretching." Coach Murray said blowing his whistle.

We did our stretches and our daily workout. After we finished, Monica and I sat back in the bleacher. The basketball team was still practicing.

"Damn Lamar is fine." I said to Monica as I watched Lamar do layups, he was now covered in sweat, eyes locked in while shooting layups.

"Well talk to that nigga." 

"Please, he wouldn't even look my way, probably don't even know I exist." 

"True." 

"Forget you." I pushed her playfully for agreeing.