Chapter 10

I walked into my home Sunday night, googly eyed with an aura of romantic bliss. Lamar and I had really gotten to know each other during the entire weekend, we spent time playing tennis, to cooking, and even swimming. It was like the person I had crushed on for all of these years had an entirely different personality from what I predicted, one further than what I could have imagined . Lamar didn't pressure me about sex one time, throughout the entire weekend. 

"Where the hell you been?" My mom barked viciously as I entered my home.

"With Shawni." I spoke scrunching my face with irritation, while closing the door.

"So you been with Shawni all weekend?"

"Yea."

"You're lying, I called Shanda and she tried to lie for you until I drove over there. So where have you been?"

"With Monica."

"Why didn't you tell me that in the first place?"

"Because her dad was out of town and we were there by ourselves. I knew you wouldn't let me go if I asked." I continued to lie.

"You damn right!"

I glanced at my phone, when receiving a text from Lamar.

"You're grounded for a week!"

"But Ma-"

"But nothing, give me you're phone!" She demanded, holding out her hand.

I gave her the phone and walked off, stomping my feet in the process.

"And no television!" She called after me.

"Whatever." I mumbled under my breath before slamming my bedroom door.

       The next morning, I woke up early for school, and I got ready quickly.

"Good morning, Ma." I spoke with a big smile, sitting down at the table.

"Good morning, Bre'lyn."

"Why are you here? Don't you gotta walk to school or something?" Anthony spoke, while pecking on his hand held game.

I threw him a finger sign and turned my attention back to my mother, who was in the kitchen.

"What are we eating?"

"Bre, don't think you're getting that phone back."

"Dang, I can't eat breakfast without y'all thinking I want something?" I asked in irritation.

My mom shook her head and continued to scramble eggs.

"See y'all later." I sighed, grabbing my backpack.

        I waited a few minutes, until I noticed Monica walking up the street. When she was close enough, I made my way to her with a smile. "Can I walk with you?"

"It's not like I can stop you." She spoke calmly, clutching the straps of her backpack.

After a few steps of silence, I decided to spark a conversation.

"So how has class been?"

"You would know if you came."

I rarely went to gym anymore, or some of my other classes.

"Oh, yea." I spoke with a slight laugh.

"What do you want Bre'lyn? I know it's something. We haven't talked in months and now you just randomly pop up out of nowhere like nothing happened." She snapped, staring at me with cold eyes.

I didn't speak, I couldn't. Monica shook her head and began to walk away from me.

"Wait!" I called,  pacing after her before she turned and faced me. "Look, I'm sorry... about everything. I really hate that we're not talking. You're my best friend and I really miss you."